3-500 tubes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AC6CV, Sep 5, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AC6CV

AC6CV Ham Member QRZ Page

When the UPS freight wagon delivers in NW WY packages take a beating. Received a pair of 3-500 tubes. Although well packed by Ameritron one tube was nothing but small pieces of glass. The other tube looks OK but I'm wondering with that many Gs on the carton if the other tube, although not broken, may have its life shortened.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bummer.

Insurance should pay for both.

Good Luck.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Collecting insurance from UPS can be done. However, it definitely is NOT for the "feint of heart"!

Glen, K9STH

KC9UDX likes this.
  4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The shipper is responsible for & claims the insurance. Contact them & they will want pictures.

Ed

KC9UDX likes this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I seriously don't think this is limited to that beautiful part of our country.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some folks ship a amp with the tubes in. Bad move really.

There are not many tubes/sockets that can handle that load, even with 0 grid current.

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've shipped and received lots of tube gear over the years and never even thought about removing tubes. I never had a problem at all till I shipped a frequency counter with nixies to someone here on the 'zed.

The tubes popped out in shipping but were undamaged. I was pretty embarrassed. From then on anything I send out has tubes removed unless they are loctal, have retainers, or good locking shields.

I also had a Gonset arrive with tubes partially out-of-socket. Of course when I removed the cover, the vent stems broke, there was not much I could do about it.

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped using UPS several years ago after they consistently damaged amps I was sending out and receiving. No matter how well I or someone else packed it they still managed to break it big time. I switched to Fed Fx ground and used same packing methods I always used with UPS and since I SWITCHED I never had another damaged amp. I tell all people sending me amps to use Fed Ex and most do and the packages arrive unharmed. I suggest you all switch to Fed x for heavy items. I always ship tubes separately of the amps. I have been packing and shipping amps for years and I can't afford damages. I had my share until I learned. You have been warned.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always remove the tubes from anything I ship unless they're receiving tubes with shields over them that lock the tubes in place so they can't possibly fall out. I've shipped metal-ceramic transmitting tubes installed because they're held in place with a ceramic chimney that normally has something pressing against it to hold it in place, so the tubes can't go anywhere. But anything with glass transmitting tubes...should be removed and packed separately.

I'm amazed Ameritron didn't pack for a huge drop. RF Parts does. I've bought new 3-500ZGs from RF Parts and they come in a very strong carton that is completely filled with foam that surrounds the tube in all directions and is very thick. You could drop one of those from 4-5 feet above ground and nothing would happen to the tube. I'm sure they did drop-shock tests to develop the packaging they use. Looking at their packaging, and having designed and purchased custom packaging lots of times, I'd guess their packaging is worth at least five dollars per tube, maybe closer to ten.

And worth it.

10. AC6CV

AC6CV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ameritron did pack the 2 tubes in a separate carton about 14" x 14" x14". Lots of foam and bubble wrap. This carton wasn't acidentally dropped by UPS. It had to be thrown with force. Took a lot of G force to do the damage.

KC9UDX likes this.