3.5 Jack lead for CT-17 level converter

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G0VQY, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've just purchased another ICOM and I want to control it using ham radio deluxe. I normally use the CT-17 level converter which plugs into the computer, all I need them is a 3.5 lead that plugs into the radio. Are these 3.5 leads just standard audio leads?

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they are the same, but I'd strongly advise using shielded cable as appropriate. There are also metal 3.5" plugs, which may givee a bit more resistance to RFI.
    P.S. Make sure you get what is appropriate; there are two and three conductor 3.5" plugs.

4. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Something rather strange has happened and I can't work out why. I've found an audio cable last night and plugged it into my CT-17 and then into the ICOM 7400 which is I believe the equivalent to the ICOM 746 pro US version. Anyway, it wasn't until this morning that I put the radio on to set up the audio. I thought I would put my ICOM 7800 so I could monitor the modulation. However, when I tune the radio, let's say the 7400, the frequency also moves on the 7800. If I key the 7400, or vice versa, then it also operates the other radio. This has never happened before, mind you, I've not had to ICOM rigs connected into the CT-17 before, only a Kenwood and an ICOM. Anybody know what's going on?

EDIT: it seems that now I have switched on HRD and selected the ICOM 7400 I can now have both radios on and they are working independently of each other. Obviously something to do with ICOM radios connected to a CT-17

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  5. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. The CT-17 is buss style device and does not provide any isolation from port to port. As you tune one rig on the buss, it's sending out updates that are used by other devices as inputs. Hence the control you are seeing. This also manifests when using an IC-PW1 on the buss and can cause unwanted and untimely band changes to the PW1. Possibly resulting in a hot key of the amp and possible damage resulting.

There's several devices out that provide port isolation. MircoHam MicroKeyer, Station Master are two rather comprehensive devices. There is a C-IV router made by K9JM that's also available: http://www.k9jm.com/CIV_Router/CI-V Router.html .