ad: KF7PMW-1

3-1000Z AMP AGN

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by G4SSX, Sep 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G4SSX

G4SSX Ham Member QRZ Page

HI
    FOR MY HOMEBREW 3-100Z AMP I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A 4-1000P VALVE BUT THE GLASSCHIMNY IS TO SHORT BY ABT 3INCHES SO DOES THE VALVE NEED ONE OR CAN USE 2 COMPUTER FANS TO COOL THE VALVE AND ALSO A FAN ON TOP OF MY CABINET?.
    ANY HELP PLEASE
    THANKS
    WOLF G4SSX

2. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

As I recall, there is a Coleman lantern chimney that will fit around the 4-1000.

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought they were for 3-500's

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can cool a 4-1000A with a good axial fan system instead of a blower and chimney, that will work.

I'd use a high-volume, high-velocity fan (probably a 5-6" model) blowing across the tube, and also run the original blower to keep the base pin seals cooled, without the chimney.

The reason for the chimney is mostly to keep the top anode pin seal cooled; it redirects the air flow around the glass and back in towards the anode seal. If you use an anode heat dissipating cap (finned aluminum) and blow air across the whole tube including that cap, it's absolutely sufficient for running amateur legal limit power. The tube itself can run about 2000W output power continuously (carrier power for FM) if properly cooled; with a less optimal cooling system, 1000-1500W PEP with limited duty cycle (CW-SSB) is still fine.

6. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Make a spacer??

Teflon?
    Glass is possible too.
    Metal too.

The T-368 used anodized aluminum chimneys...

7. WA1GFZ

WA1GFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

make a spacer, How about PVC pipe or PVC pipe fittings? Air needs to go up through the pins to protect the seal. I ran a 4-1000A in GG for years, It will really make some juice at 5KV but still plays down around 3500V.