ad: M2Ant-1

3Φ Transformer Lamination Restack

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WZ5Q, Sep 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It sure looks like a transformer.

I have a lot of that dull red fibreglass insulation material as shown in yer last picture.

The holes in the material seem to give off annoying particles.

Would like to figure out how to clearcoat the stuff and make that stop.

2. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe paint the offending holes with some clear acrylic nail polish?

3. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good idea.
    I may try out some nail polish on some high voltage areas to see how it holds up.
    I just need to check out which types are best.

4. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the two part electrical epoxy resin takes about 2 days to fully cure at a minimum of 70 degrees F, I needed to be sure that the temperature didn't drop at night since our lows were in the 40's.

Here is my "Curing Oven", the temperature ranged from 90 to 100 degrees F.

Should be able to test in the next few days when I have time.

6 - Curing Oven.jpg

7 - Curing Oven.jpg

5. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Took the Iron out of the "Curing Oven" and everything is hard as stone. Seems that the epoxy has set just like it was supposed too.

The Test Bed was set up again to see if the transformer had less noise. The Test Bed consists of a Bridge Rectifier followed by a Reactor Input filter. The values being 40H @ 1.5A for the reactor and 15uf @ 15KV for the capacitor. A 20K resistor string followed that for a load. At a rectified and filtered 5200vDC, this puts a 260mA load on the transformer.

The hum and buzzing of the transformer was cut about 3/4 from what it was before the application of the epoxy resin into the laminations. It is now usable.

This concludes the project and the Iron is now stored away awaiting it's use in the devoted Modulator Power Supply for the Massive Homebrew.

6. KC4MOP

KC4MOP Ham Member QRZ Page

One Ham operator did just that. Phil....K2PG . Has or had a Collins 21E and it was kept original. 5KW 3 phase power. Good work on the conversion to single phase