ad: Radclub22-1

2nd X-class X-ray Flare of Sunspot Solar Cycle 25 (October 28, 2021)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Nov 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

While everyone is worried about their radios exploding because of some super event, I'm just sitting here keying up AM to test my radio's SWR meter because HF is complete and totally dead.

But, I suppose since you can't talk skywave, now is a good time to start arguing about the hills melting, the mountains quaking, and nuns and puppies bursting into flames because of another Carrington.

M1WML likes this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was just my set-up ! - Wonder how long this condition will last ? - 20 & 17m acting like 80 & 40m during the day ! - NOTHING coming in or going out ! :(

80m at night is so-so... 40m not so much... 30m DEAD at night

M1WML likes this.
  3. K1SHE

K1SHE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said

M1WML likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

NW7US did a fine job of summarizing the event, which was pretty spectacular as a solar disturbance. There WAS a short (probably too strong a word) propagation 'blackout' during the weekend, and a nice recovery on Sunday. Auroras noted, as you probably are aware.

The present 'poor' conditions across the board are A and K related, not the SFI tubing. Doesn't sound like it is related to this Oct 28 solar event ?

Chip W1YW

M1WML and W5BIB like this.
  5. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice to be able to work dx on 15 meters at 2 am in January like I used to back in 1979. I remember I had been to a party on a Saturday night and came home and wondered if anyone would be on 15 meters at that hour....to my surprise, the band had many stations from the far east and Europe and 20 meters sounded like a contest weekend.

M1WML and K4YNZ like this.
  6. K5TWM

K5TWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Foolish man built his house upon the sand (silicon dioxide)! ;)

7. K1SHE

K1SHE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page