2nd X-class X-ray Flare of Sunspot Solar Cycle 25 (October 28, 2021)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Nov 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. Foodstuffs is another. Decades ago it was a civil defense mandate for each family to have a 30-90 day supply of food but that went away in the 70's. People in the 20's would pack away quite a bit more than that and just look at how many starved during the depression. Or consider the rationing during WW2 . It would be smart of gov to implement a victory garden mandate but lets be realistic they don't give a damn about us so we need to do it ourselves.

M1WML and N8ZI like this.
  2. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Boy did I choose the right week (Oct. 23-31) to go to St Eustatius as PJ5/W5JON. Fantastic weekend propagation, 10 and 12m were unbelievable!
    73, John

M1WML, KF5VDX and W1YW like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is NO PEANUT BUTTER...the shelves are empty at the supermarket.

I bet you never thought that we would use a natural event to be meaningfully diverted by the idiocy of a man-made one;-)

M1WML likes this.
  4. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

John, thank you for the two-way exchange via the ionosphere on the 30-Meter band. The log entry made possible by you is a new DXCC entity toward my total DXCC tally.

Yes, it was great to have the 10.7-cm Radio Flux reading above 100 for the weekend, too.

73 de NW7US dit dit

M1WML likes this.
  5. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where else but America can you jump a border, get handed everything for free and $450,000 to kick start your new life of luxury?

KR3DX, M1WML, W3ATT and 1 other person like this.
  6. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

While everyone is worried about their radios exploding because of some super event, I'm just sitting here keying up AM to test my radio's SWR meter because HF is complete and totally dead.

But, I suppose since you can't talk skywave, now is a good time to start arguing about the hills melting, the mountains quaking, and nuns and puppies bursting into flames because of another Carrington.

M1WML likes this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was just my set-up ! - Wonder how long this condition will last ? - 20 & 17m acting like 80 & 40m during the day ! - NOTHING coming in or going out ! :(

80m at night is so-so... 40m not so much... 30m DEAD at night

M1WML likes this.
  8. KE0HTG

KE0HTG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said

M1WML likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

NW7US did a fine job of summarizing the event, which was pretty spectacular as a solar disturbance. There WAS a short (probably too strong a word) propagation 'blackout' during the weekend, and a nice recovery on Sunday. Auroras noted, as you probably are aware.

The present 'poor' conditions across the board are A and K related, not the SFI tubing. Doesn't sound like it is related to this Oct 28 solar event ?

Chip W1YW

M1WML and W5BIB like this.
  10. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice to be able to work dx on 15 meters at 2 am in January like I used to back in 1979. I remember I had been to a party on a Saturday night and came home and wondered if anyone would be on 15 meters at that hour....to my surprise, the band had many stations from the far east and Europe and 20 meters sounded like a contest weekend.

M1WML and K4YNZ like this.