2nd Home Signing and LOTW

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W4KJG, Sep 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm finally going to be a "snowbird" this winter. See K8KJG Snowbird plans.

I'll be at a home we own in the 4th call district. When using JT-65 and similar, do I use /4 in addition to the maidenhead for that location? On phone and CW do I use /4 or nothing?

For LOTW, do I need to drag my WV shack computer with me? Or can I set up a second account on the computer I already have there?

I gather that the only way to get a second call for that location would be to set up a "club." That seems like cheating, doesn't it? Although I guess my front porch could qualify as a BOTA site when I drag my 2 meter Yagi out there.

Thanks,
    Ken
    K8KJG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL has a couple useful documents published that should help you out on the LOTW front. https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/backuprestore/ this document walks you through creating a backup of your lotw certificates and such for moving to a different computer. I would recommend if you have internet at both locations setting both computers up to use dropbox or google drive or similar to keep the data synced between computers. If you dont have internet access at both locations you could easily use a thumb drive to backup to. The other document https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/multiple-callsigns-locations/ provides information on adding additional locations to your lotw so that you can log contacts and specify which location the contact was made from. I cant be of any help on the JT65 or CW front as I havent done much in either mode yet.

W4KJG likes this.
  3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that the maidenhead would clearly define you as being in 4 land on JT65. I wouldn't bother with the /4. On CW and SSB you can use portable 4 or /4 if you want to or not. There is no requirement to use it anymore so some do and some don't.

You can set up LOTW on different computers if you have the P12 file saved from your original installation of it as I recall. Many do not save this file and then need to get a new cert when they run into computer problems and have to reinstall LOTW.

As mentioned there is info on the ARRL site about all this LOTW stuff and how best to use LOTW with the same call from different locations.

AG6QR and W4KJG like this.
  4. W4KJG

Thanks all. That is what I needed confirmed.

The old timer in me still doesn't like not knowing what area of the country people are in when I hear their call. So, in the back of my mind I didn't want to really believe what I thought I was reading. Sheesh! I'll be down in the sun sipping lemonade with the alligators and calling CQ on 20 meters, while some other unsuspecting old timer will hear my northwoods Finnish accent and maybe think he might finally have a chance at snagging the ham in the suburbs of Houghton-Hancock, MI when he hears my call!:confused:.

I guess this is progress, and why I have two computers at my operating station -- one open on QRZ to quickly look up calls!

I also did not realize that I could use two different computers for LOTW. I guess I will move my log info to some cloud or some drop box in the next week or so.

Again thanks.

Ken
    K8KJG

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    You can set up any number of locations under your present call. I've got a bunch registered with LoTW. When you upload you'll get a popup asking which location certificate you wish to apply the contacts to.
    Here's mine. Some of my certificates are redundant since I was floundering around in the setup stage when I tried to sign up under my old call WX4A in Puerto Rico.
    Image1.jpg

W4KJG likes this.
  6. KE0CAA

Nah most people with any experience living in colder climates know that no Yoopers will be in Houghton in January ;)

7. W4KJG

Maybe not in Houghton, but some will at least be in the outskirts of Hancock, or maybe far southern sunbaked metropolitan Ontonagon with its nearby beautiful white beaches.:cool:

I'm sure my Suomalinen Yooper relatives will be drilling holes in the "floor" of the ice shack while sitting On Da Couch Dat Burps. Then when it gets dark (3:30 PM) they'll be drinking beer while telling tall tales about hunting and fishing while cooking themselves in the sauna. They still consider it God's county. And if by some freak of nature the trash cans aren't covered with snow by US Thanksgiving, they'll drink a bunch of beer and dance in the road while singing to Heikki Lunta for more snow.

Sometimes I miss my relatives.:cool:

8. KE0CAA

[​IMG]

W4KJG and KD4MOJ like this.
  9. W4KJG

As I recall, that photo was actually from Wisconsin Dells -- near where Casey was "shot in da ... tunnel".

But, it sure does show the good humor and winter lifestyle of the UP, upper WI, and upper MN -- and most of Manitoba, and western Ontario.

Yeah, being nort of da border doesn't keep you VEs/VAs innocent either! You taught and taunted us! Think about taunting my uncles to "drink Canada dry!" :):confused: (Actually, a lot of my relatives are north of the border, so ...)

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be a courtesy in adding /4 to your call to let the other ops know are are in a different location than your QRZ.com page has u at.
    I have turned a directional ant at some stations and lost them because they have numbers in the call that do not reflect the Actual physical QTH !