2M VHF amp received audio distorted

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N4TWX, Feb 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4TWX

N4TWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to describe the receive audio to my friend that owns the amp and to me it sounds as if he is talking through a fan was the best way I could describe the distortion. He tried a couple of different microphones and no change, but without the amp he sounds normal. I don't have many particulars on the amp but it will produce legal limit and is homebrew.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this on FM or SSB?

If it's SSB (I'll assume that for now), how far away is he from your location and how strong is his signal?

3. N4TWX

90 miles and it is ssb. With a preamp on he is 10 over 9 with the amp on but if he decreases the drive the problem still exists.

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this a new problem?
    Has the amplifier performed normally prior to this?

There are a few things that could be wrong but to be certain, there needs to be more details.

Do you have a schematic of the amplifier?
    How is it setup?
    What is the bias on the stages?

Hope this helps
    Gary

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good questions.

The part about the signal sounding like he's talking through a fan gives me a couple of "guesses" about what's wrong:

1. The amp is squegging due to some instability or the tank circuit unable to fill in the RF cycle (like it's biased for Class C and then used on SSB);
    2. It might be 120 Hz hum from the power supply, modulating the signal due to inadequate power supply filtering/regulation.

Those are just guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one or the other.

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, as a guess, too small of a power supply could drag the voltage down to an unacceptable level.

Ed

7. N4TWX

O.K. thanks for the replies. He found something to do with the center tap on a grid bias transformer. He took it to a friend with more expertise than he and I have and they made a change, I think it was that the center tap was cut off and not used and they used it. Not sure, but I did listen to it afterwards from my location and it is much much better. Thanks again.

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What tube(s) does this amp run?

9. N4TWX

Russian GS35B

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How does he sound with your preamp off ?