2m sweepers

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear them a lot these past few days. I originally thought it might be mfj antenna analyzers or some such, but i'm hearing a lot of them. I guess there might be one antenna sweep per minute within earshot of me, but I kinda doubt it.

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first theory would be some kind of free running oscillator, like a wall wart switching power supply. These tend to drift slowly, and while I've never seen them at two meters, you may have found the worst one on the planet, with harmonics all the way up to two meters.

My second guess would be Russians. My third would be space aliens.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be the local oscillator from a scanner.

4. KK4YWN

Just a quick note: I operate mobile almost exclusively. And I cover a lot of ground.

The conditions have been good here. Plenty of weak digital/cw to listen to.

If it's scanner LO: it would have to be a bunch if them creeping up the band rather than jumping around stored memories.

Damned Russian aliens.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well considering the news has been saying they have been having more "near incursions" the past few weeks, it could be that. Or it could be the stuff the US uses to track them like Pave Paws, though thats more around 440, supposedly.

6. AF6LJ

If you are operating HF then it could be CODAR a type of surface radar used for mapping ocean currents.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd suspect some sort of RADAR also.

On 432, 902 and 1296 MHz I can hear the RADAR "sweeps" all the time since I'm close to a few major airports and that's where they're coming from. But it never sounds like a "tone" changing frequency or anything like that. It doesn't matter what frequency you're dialed to, it's a "buzz" that goes from S0 to quite strong and then back to S0 again, and has no specific frequency where you can tune it in. It can have a bit of a tonal quality to it, but you still hear the "buzz" even if there's a bit of tone with it.

I don't hear this on 2m, but there are many types of RADARs in use and maybe you're in an area where on or more are in service that would impact 2m.

8. KK4YWN

Well it turns out the sweepers are coming from the electronics in my car. I usually don't listen to SSB much while mobile, but since there is a growing group of SSB ops locally, I've been monitoring much more often.

With FM, these signals go unnoticed thanks to the squelch.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of these noises.

9. AF6LJ

This should be fairly easy to trace down.
    Make a sniffer loop and attach it to a piece of coax connected to your radio.
    You should be able to narrow it down.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Even easier: Remove the car battery when you leave the car. That should stop it.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.