2M SSB

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8ZSK, Aug 22, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8ZSK

KD8ZSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone using 2 meter single side band? I'm running a local repeater crawl with one simplex stop and one participant suggested trying USB rather than FM. I've been listening to 147.200 USB and have heard nothing. I picked 147.200 based on https://hamradioschool.com/single-sideband-2-meters-vhf-mode/

Many thanks in advance,
    KD8ZSK - Detroit

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, let's put it this way...you think there is a lack of activity on 2-meter FM? You don't know what "lack of activity" is until you get to 2-meter sideband. ;)

N3AWS, KO4LZ, N4FZ and 3 others like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

144.200, not 147.200

N1VAU likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That article says:
    When and Where to Operate
    The SSB portion of the 2m band runs from 144.100 MHz to 144.275 MHz and Upper Sideband (USB) is used. The 2M SSB calling frequency is 144.200 MHz, so that is the first place to look for

5. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I operate 2 meter SSB here on the gulf coast of Alabama EM60. With 100 watts and a 7 element beam at only 25 feet, I have a pretty dependable range of 150 miles and have no trouble working stations 400-600 miles during tropo openings. There is an early morning (5AM) group here on the gulf coast with participants in AL, FL and GA.

Don't know how activity or conditions are in your neck of the woods.

WQ4G, NL7W and N4FZ like this.
  6. KD8ZSK

KD8ZSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for catching my bad typing. I'll keep listening at 144.200 USB. There is no lack of action on 2m band with FM around here. Our Crawl group was just throwing out other stuff to try to. I'm thinking I will add it to our list. That would be us rolling through SE MI some where between 7-9PM for about ten minutes at each stop.

5AM is reasonable for me M-F. Weekends I sleep in.

7. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

https://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html
    Keep a peeper on that above

Out here we got
    144.100 - 144.400 CW / SSB
    144.100 Calling frequency: national primary
    144.200 Calling frequency: national secondary , 73 Paul

8. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W and N4FZ like this.
  9. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't just listen to 144.200, do some calling several times a day for a bit. Don't just call CQ once and leave. Most of us that listen to 144.200 are doing something else or across the room our out of the room when a call comes in. I'm usually across the room and when I hear a CQ I need to switch desks and sometimes switch my headset from my IC-7600 over to the IC-746Pro (I have the mic off because I do a lot of digital and it's just easier to not have to worry about TX by accident some times) and answer. So many people call CQ once, give up and leave the frequency before I can answer. If they would call 4 or 6 times I'd be able to reply to them if nobody else has by that time.

I also monitor 146.520, the FM simplex calling frequency. We have a good number of local hams that use that frequency for FM simplex. If it gets busy they move up a channel or two so that the calling freq stays available. Usually there isn't that many wanting to use 146.520 to matter though so usually they stay put and let others jump into the conversation. I've always found this to be better on both 6 meters and 2 meter SSB calling frequencies as I've found that a crowd does draw a crowd since everyone just listens mostly but will jump in if they hear talking.

Mike

N4FZ and WZ7U like this.
  10. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Keith,

OK, you got me on this one - my clue-meter is pegged on zero. What is a repeater crawl?

Thanks & regards,
    -Bruce

WQ4G and W1TRY like this.