2m SSB without a SSB rig (seriously)

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That ain't mine! That belons to Dave, W5UN. I visited him in the 80s shortly after he installed all that.

His 2m e.m.e. array occupies a couple of acres I guess. One tower is on a rotating platform, the other tower that supports the big cross-boom (which is also a tower) resides on the bed of an old Ford truck chassis, with wheels and an electric motor. To rotate the array, the truck drives in a circle. Whole thing is only about 30' off the ground, just high enough to prevent the rear ends of the lower beams from hitting the ground. But it's huge.

2. WA7GWT

WA7GWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Lord...an antenna array like that, you could talk to Europe...Australia...Mars...Babylon 5...

3. K5ASK

K5ASK Ham Member QRZ Page

GEEKS, GET A JOB

4. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I lost any interest when the word 'echolink' was uttered because that's the point you stop playing radio and start playing interwebz. But thanks for posting.

5. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

YWN, don't let the grumpy old men ruin your fun. I think your project and can-do attitude is what this hobby needs. Keep up the great work and have fun!

6. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think Echo Link also serves a pretty good service for some Hams. I know of three older Hams who were deeply into HF, particularly after they retired. They're up there in their latter years now and have been relegated to Assisted Living apartments. Absolutely no opportunity to use a radio other than an HT in those I understand. With Echo Link they can talk with some of their old buddies and discover new ones worldwide from a laptop or a pad

Quite a few years ago there was a group in the UK that was trying to set up for awards for contacts over Echo Link. Haven't heard from them in years......

7. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i get where you are coming from. i usually don't care much for internet-2-way radio. but i have two goals in mind with this setup.

first: there are a lot of technicians out there with this absurd idea that vhf/uhf is for walkie-talkies and FM. the old crew says hf is where its at and then get annoyed when no-code generals pop up on hf with no operational experience. 2m SSB is a gateway to better hf operation. i've spent the past year building a community of ethusiastic VHF SSB ops and its been fun. some of us are actually learning morse because we've seen first-hand how effective it is at long-distance communication. one or two elmers have offered to work us on 2m cw when we are ready. etc etc etc. but the problem is: getting people to put their stupid fm rigs down to play on ssb. if our group isn't on then theres no one to talk to and that kills it for the newbie. he's forever convinced that 2m is all about fm.

second: one day there will be a linear translator running on a tower in NC. all of my current projects relate directly to that goal. echolinking a 2m radio is a step toward my goal. i don't know how many things you've designed but surely you understand the stepped aproach: build and test component one before moving on to component two. the future of linear translators is in dsp and i needed to learn how to bridge the analog/digital domains.

playing interwebz goes hand-in-hand with radio. qrz.com, arrl.com email addresses, and countless ham-related blogs prove it. you incorporate the interwebz into your ham radio on a daily basis so all your barking is just a silly waste of time.

AND... when i'm away from my radio, i can use my iphone to connect to it and qso with my friends back home. i didn't have to spend a kings fortune to do that.

nice sdr icon by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.