2m mobile wiping out XM roady mobile mag-mount antenna?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WA7ARK, Jun 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using a Delphi Roady XT with the small mag-mount amplified Sat antenna to be placed on the vehicle roof. How far should it placed from a two-meter mobile transmit antenna (1/4wl whip; radio runs ~45W)?

The XM antenna died recently. I am wondering if RF overload from the 2m rig might have killed it?

2. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

While I cannot say for absolute certainty that your 2 meter rig didn't cause the damage, I will say that I've had those little XM magmounts since XM first started as a company. Even with HF and VHF/UHF mobile stuff up to and over 100 watts, I never had one fail.

By anecdotal evidence makes me think the antenna just failed and was not influenced by your 2 meter rig.

WA8FOZ and K0UO like this.
  3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Classic case of common mode.

Try a choke right at the base of the antenna, and be sure to attatch the coax to a ground rod right before it attatches to the rig.

Rege

4. WA7ARK

Negative Rege, blocking common-mode on the feed line to the XM patch antenna or the 2m whip antenna would make them work better, thus more likely that the XM antenna gets wiped out.;)

I did pry the lid off and look inside the dead one. There are at least 4 transistors, several diodes, and what looks like a MMIC. The dead one draws about the same current (~50mA@5V via a bias-T) as the new one. I relocated the new one further from the 2m whip....

K0UO likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly I've never had one fail and I run high power in various mobiles, all with XM.

6. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

My 1/2 wave 2m antenna is about 18" from my satellite radio antenna. It's been that way for about 10 years. I haven't had any problems with the antenna. My rig will only run 50 watts. I don't know what a higher powered radio would do.

7. WA7ARK

It might have been coincidence, but the new XM antenna is working fine. I increased the distance from the 2m APRS antenna because I could....

K0UO likes this.