2m mobile strategies for long road trip

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7QPS, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience with road trips..... most important radio....ability to monitor ch 19....road info..
    detours ect. 2m, scan simplex freqs for occasional pockets of activity...If you want to do serious
    hamming, HF rig with good screwdriver ant. operating 40m, 60m, 80m..... 17m and 20m if your a chaser. On my last 1200 mile trip I worked 42 states, 15 DX on 40 and 80 alone. Never once picked up the mic on 2m. CB saved me twice avoiding traffic situations. One case was a heads up on serious accident. I was able to get off exit just in the nick of time.... Later found out that the highway was closed for 8 hours....Those who didn't exit were stuck for the duration.
    YMMV

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Better check again Charles, you must be from Mich.
    Good majority of states, 20khz in 145.xxx range
    15khz in 146.xxx and 147.xxx
    Your list misses quite a few.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Add or subtract from the list as you like.

5. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you utilize this list without knowing what PL tones are used for each repeater? Even if they announce the tone in the ID, how can you program it while driving?

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Well for one thing many repeaters will often announce the PL tone it uses during the repeater ID.

Secondly, you can use one button PL tone scan. There's no "programming" anything to use this feature.

Once the PL tone is found in mere seconds, simply stop the PL tone scan and you're good to go. My microphone has the buttons required to perform and complete the operation at my finger tips. No menus required.

Information about using the PL tone scan feature for your particular rig is in your user manual.

Keep in mind, you don't need to enable any PL tone while scanning all the frequencies when monitoring them for any activity.

Also it's been my experience the same PL tone is often used for the vast majority of repeaters located within a similar geographical area. (Yeah a few may not - I know)

For example, most repeaters In Tulsa use 88.5. Most repeaters in Oklahoma City use 141.3, most repeaters in Springfield, Missouri like to use 162.2 etc.

The 72 repeater pair frequencies programmed into my rig never changes no matter where I go, just the PL tones to access them do.

When in doubt press PL tone scan. If you know the PL tone you can simply set the rig to the PL tone by holding down the appropriate microphone button until the right PL tone is indicated on the rig display.

Let go the button and the new PL tone is selected and set then in 1 second, the rig resumes it's regular frequency display and you're ready to transmit into the repeater.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  7. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed that most of local (Seattle) repeater activity is just before and after business hours, and evenings. Give those times a try.

8. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also heading off on a long road trip (bicycle) in a couple of weeks. I generally just leave the radio on 146.52 . Frankly, I have never heard anyone.

If you are just looking for random chatter, use "the other band." If you happen to run across a jerk, just turn it off for a while. By the time you remember to turn it back on, they will be long gone. I normally just the "the other band" radio for the weather Fr scan function; but I sometimes tune through the channels just to be doing something.

The other thing would be to plug a list of commonly used repeater Fr's and common simplex Fr's into a scanner and leave it on fast scan.

If you happen to run across a trike with a call-sign and Fr on reflective letters stuck to slow moving vehicle triangle, give a shout.

9. K0LCB

K0LCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Chicken Band?

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Call it what you want. There are some 750K hams in the US, compared to about 330M non hams; the likelihood of connecting with someone on 11m is far greater than on any ham radio band.

In the 1980s, I worked at a retail 2-way radio store, and installed LOTS of radios into vehicles. All but a few were CB. Today, we still have that, as well as cellular.