2M mobile radio - detachable face plate/remote mount

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD8HAM, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8HAM

KD8HAM Ham Member QRZ Page

As I look for a mobile unit to throw in my recently acquired Toyota; I was wondering if there are any 2M only units with a detachable/remote mount face kits that are available. I am seriously considering the Alinco DR-635T - but would rather get a VHF only unit.

Cheers

2. N3AEI

N3AEI Ham Member QRZ Page

In short no. None of the manufacturersoffer a 2mtr mobile with detachable face. For a detachable face look at the dual band radios.

3. KE5PPH

KE5PPH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd put in a vote for a ICOM 208h. the only problem is the mike cable is attached to body and not the head unit.

4. KD8HAM

KD8HAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Only reason, I have not considered the Kenwood dualbander! I am seriously looking at the DR-635T and the FT-8800 :)

Always been a bit partial to Yaesu and own 2 ATM and at least 3 in the past! :)

5. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 208-H in my Jeep Liberty. No problem with the mic, get some Cat5 cable with connectors and a double female Cat5 connector and you can extend the mic cable.

6. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a bit miffed, and you should be too!

The big three all sell remotely-mountable transceivers where the microphone cable plugs into the main unit (as opposed to the head like an Icom IC-7000 for example). When you remote one, not only do you have to buy the remote kit, you end up having to buy a bunch of remote cables too. For example, the IC-208 isn't all that expensive for a dual band transceiver, with the features it has. However, if you buy all of the stuff you need to remote it, you end up spending nearly twice the street price of the basic transceiver! What the hey is with that??!!

Oh! Then there are the folks who buy CAT5 cables, because they're too cheap to buy the real McCoy—a very typical, amateur radio scenario! Oh! They don't have any problems, only because their friends won't tell them about the hum on their signal caused by RF getting into the unshielded CAT5 cable.

I could go on, but if I did, the post would be transferred to the Opinion section.

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

The "big three" also make VHF LMR radios with detachable control heads. I think if they thought there would be a market for same in a 2 meter ham box they'd produce them

8. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... ICOM 208h. the only problem is the mike cable is attached to body and not the head unit ...

But a CAT5 computer cable and inline coupler do the trick as an "extension" cord for this rig's mic cable!

Clint K6LCS

9. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

The 208H is a dual band radio

10. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

The mic for my Yaesu 7900 plugs into the control head, and the separation kit and cables were included with the unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.