2m Mobile Install in a Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by VE4MBQ, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VE4MBQ

VE4MBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have done a low-profile 2m mobile installation in a Chevy Cobalt or Pontiac G5 Coupe (aka Pursuit).

I want to put a Yaesu FT-2200 2m mobile temporarily into my son's car for use during upcoming Flood Operations (yes he's a ham too and yes the FT-2200 is an older rig) but I'm kind of stumped. I do still have the mobile mounting bracket.

I have an FT-1500 in my Taurus, kind of improvised a way of attaching the mount thru the slot (maybe for CDs) under the am/fm/CD player - don't seem to have a similar spot in the Cobalt.

Jeff Dovyak VE4MBQ
    EC Winnipeg ARES
    DEC Manitoba ARES Capital Region

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In such cars I always mount the rig "vertically," bolted to the side of the center console that extends down from the dashboard. If that intrudes too much into my driver's space (right leg), I mount it on the other (passenger) side, with the rig angled towards me so I can see it. That actually works out better in many cases, as the rig's out of my way but still very accessible. I rarely need to use any controls anyway, since the mike itself is the main thing I need to reach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.