2m Linear all-mode radio questions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W7UUU, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the rig has an AMP KEYING output, just use that. All HF transceivers do, and most multi-mode VHF transceivers do, also.

It just pulls the line to ground when you transmit. All my rigs have that provision, except for FM-only mobile rigs. No outboard relays required.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll have to check - don't recall seeing that on the Kenwood TR-9130 though.... there are some cryptic outputs on the oddball ALC
    connector, but I have a feeling that connector on eBay is worth more than the radio is! I can do reed relays that are faster
    than I can think when keyed... the amp is for shack use only - NOT portable - so a relay box would be quick, easy, and permanent.

But I'll check the manual on the 9130 first.... I just don't recall seeing that

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WB2WIK

Dave, I don't have the TR-9130 manual and don't have time currently to look that up, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a pull down to ground on TX on some pin of something. If it has ALC input, I'd have to bet it also has a TX GND connection, which is all you need to key an amp.

In a pinch with mobile FM rigs, to "add" that connection that was never there, I just use a 5v reed relay wired across the "TX" LED indicator. That will close the relay on transmit, and key an outboard amplifier.

But using "RF actuated keying" is a formula for an amp meltdown.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Will do - again, it would require that cryptic oddball Kenwood connector I've never seen.

I now know what needs to be done and will do it - makes perfect sense.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Could you replace the connector on the radio?

I don't like modifying things like that if I can avoid it, but, sometimes usefulness wins.

I reluctantly got rid of the DIN mic jack on the front of my KW, and have had no regrets at all.

6. W7UUU

Not likely - I'd rather do a "relay off the LED" as WIK suggested than try to hack that connector
    off a circuit board on the packed back panel of this radio. This is NOT a lightly packed rig - it's PACKED.

I've never seen this connector type before - in the photo below, it's to the right of the key jack...
    it came with the radio but obviously LONG gone. I COULD just stick wires in the holes and secure
    them to the radio - I'll look into that - I don't recall seeing the details on any of the pin outputs.

I'm sure that connector comes up on eBay from time to time for $200 LOL :D:D

For a rig that'll only get used on CW/SSB a few times a year, I will find a way.... life's too short :)

For now, gotta get to HRO in the morning and see if they'll swap out amps. That's priority ONE.

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

7. WB2WIK

Dave, ask at HRO if they have that connector...they might.

Locally here in L.A., "All Electronics" does have it. I've seen that same weird connector there, although I didn't buy any. Maybe they still have it. Most of their weirdo connectors are in the $2 range or so.

8. W7UUU

So looking at the manual (3.14 Aux Terminal) it does indeed state for connection to a linear.
    However, other than the ALC connection (duh!) the rest are cryptic - "ST", "E", and "9T"...
    The entire explanation is: "The AUX terminal can be used for connection with a linear amplifier.
    Use the supplied 4P plug", followed by a diagram with the designations above. That's... IT.
    The second diagram makes "E" clearly ground (earth) - so ST and 9T... ?? Mirage amps
    don't appear to have ALC inputs like HF linears...

I believe I have the service manual online handy - no idea what those designations are....

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,

Here's a website for a PDF Copy of the Kenwood TR-9130 Service Manual:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vYKAAg&usg=AFQjCNGCyxwD3dNmMqliDLhMxbtlT0ynqw

Here's a website for a PDF Copy of the Kenwood TR-9130 Instruction Manual:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yYLwDg&usg=AFQjCNFVWwblrzUKqXUCWDIqxWG2NRBQxg

According to the Service Manual the AUX Socket is ST = Standby, E = Ground, 9T = +9 VDC Transmit & 8T = +8 VDC FM

I frankly would not be worried about the ALC line running between the TR-9130 transceiver and the Solid State RF Amplier because they are biased up for Class B. I couldn't find an internal T/R relay in the TR-9130 so your best bet would be to the AUX Connector Pins E & 9T, with a 4700 OHM 1/4 Watt Resistor between 9T and the Base of a NPN 2N3904 or 2N6488 or equivalent transistor. You'll have to build up a small Perf board with the transistor & resistor combination soldered to the board bringing a wire between the Contact 9T & 4700 OHM resistor and a wire between the Connnector E & the Emitter leg on the transistor. Take a short length 12 to 16" of either coaxial Audio cable or RG-174 Mini-Coax adding a RCA Male Plug to one end and soldering the center conductor to the Collector of the NPN transistor and the Shield to the Emitter. Now for the PIns that install into the back of the transceiver get creative using either # 14 or # 12 Solid AWG as the Pins which ever fits snug into the socket. Leave enough room to solder the wires on to the Pins and use small Heat Shrink tubing on both Pins to prevent either one from shorting against the other. For the life of me, I have no idea what the Standby circuitry is used for.

Good Luck!

Dan

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is an oddball connector. I wonder what standard it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.