2m hand held radio antenna improvements

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by 2E0DED, Apr 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. 2E0DED

2E0DED Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish to do more , mobile stuff. Nothing extra special, just the chance to call cq when out fishing or walking and the like. I have a uv5rv, yes i know most dont like beofung radios but i do.
    I want to improve its antenna to get more range and or reception from it. I was thinking of some form of wire or flexable set up to replace the small rubber duck it has right now.

can it be done? is it worth doing?

and lastly can you go to far with it, is there boundries i should set, style type or range or costs??

2. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite literally, the sky is the limit.

There are many options for improving the 2m antenna on an HT; some of them are even practical :)

You have several considerations:

1) The gain and efficiency of the antenna.

2) The directional gain of the antenna.

3) The height of the antenna

4) The grounding of the antenna.

5) The front end of your receiver (the circuits in the HT).

For much of VHF work, altitude counts as a huge factor in system performance. Think about the range that VHF satellites get, for example. Simply working VHF from a hilltop or mountain gives you great range capabilities.

HTs generally use capacitive coupling to your body for the antenna 'ground'. If you use any sort of feedline between the HT and the antenna (to get more height) then you need an antenna that provides the 'ground' (either a 'ground plane' antenna, or another type of 2 element antenna that doesn't depend on ground)

It is very common to use a hand held yagi type antenna with an HT for satellite use. You can also use this sort of antenna to (for example) reach an urban area from a hilltop or a distant repeater. Make sure you consider antenna polarization (horizontal or vertical).

Finally some say that the front end of a 'Cheap Chinese Radio' is easily overloaded by extraneous signals. Improving your antenna will improve reception of both desired and undesired signals, and if you are in a signal rich environment the better antenna with the cheap radio might actually make your reception _worse_. The only way to know is to try it out.

Jon
    AF7TS

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

add a qtr wavelength of wire from the gnd base of the bnc connector. use the longer Diamond ant.

Learn Morse
    Do CW