2M antenna idea for Aluminum body vehicle?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W6ZXY, Jun 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6ZXY

W6ZXY Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that in the back of my mind I kinda knew that the new 2019 Ford F-150 I bought last December had an aluminum body but I was still surprised and dismayed when my mag mount antenna didn't stick. I know...brain fart! So, I'm wondering what are my options? I'm kinda leaning toward one of those glass mount thingies...Mounted to the back glass, it would be an excellent solution. How well or poorly do they work ? Which one is good? Any other recommended solutions that do not require drilling/cutting holes in my brand new truck ?

Oh, and other than the fact that the mag mount won't stick, will it work when stationary? (will have to try this)

Thanks in Advance.

2. KC0LDH

KC0LDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am still a fan of standard nmo mounts, but understand the hesitation.

3rd brake light mounts are looking popular.

Topper? I put a hole in a cheap topper, and use 1/2 wave antennas.

Stake pocket mount? Again, likely 1/2 wave, some trucks have good access thru the box, and a hole would go in a plastic knockout at the bottom of the cab for coax.

N3UPM likes this.
  3. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

TM710 antenna.jpg

K0UO, KU3X, W6ZXY and 1 other person like this.
  4. AC0GV

On mine the whole roof was glass. That moves it to the stake pocket, the hood, or the brake light.

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a antenna mount that clamped on the drip rail on the edge of my truck roof. Was a Dodge - installed it above the rear door when the door was open
    5/8 wave with a fold down mount ( for garage entry ).

6. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Drill baby drill.

Yes, the mag mount will work sitting still.
    Everyone I know that used the on glass antenna was disappointed .

N1VAU and W6ZXY like this.
  7. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 5/8 wave on the bed rail, behind the stake pocket.

[​IMG]

When I last put an antenna near the stake pocket, the cab did all kinds of wonky stuff to the antenna.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NMO mount. Take the plunge, you really have nothing to lose, and a lot of performance improvement to gain.

N1VAU, AI7PM and KI6IPO like this.
  9. AC0GV

10. AC0GV

NMO mounts can be put in MANY locations, if you are saying drill a hole in the roof, that could be a problem.
    f150 roof.jpg