ad: KF7PMW-1

2m AM?? Questions

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7UUU, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was going to post this in the VHF section but thought "why not help inaugurate the new AM section"? :)

I'm going to be fully restoring a really nice (physically) HW-30 Heathkit Twoer 2m AM "Benton Harbor Lunchbox" with original microphone - and yes, I'm going to try to put it on the air into my horizontal 9 Element M2 beam at 50 feet (usually reserved for CW/SSB)

WHY ON EARTH, you're thinking :D:D

Next year I'm doing a Special Event Station K1T to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the first electronic Heathkit product (o1 Oscilloscope) that was hugely popular and not long after expanded into ham products.

So for that event, I want to cover 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 of course (CW, SSB, & AM) with an SB-101 + DX-40b/SB-301 for the AM bit.

But I also want to try to make at least a few local contacts on 2m AM with a HW-30 I'll be restoring soon. It just seems appropriate, given how popular the Twoer was in the early-mid 1960s (long after the October 1947 launch of the O1). They sold a great many thousands of the little Lunchbox (and its derivatives).

Questions: Am I crazy to even suggest someone local would come back to a CQ on 144.278 or so? (it has that rock with it already - I probably have a few others)

Does ANYONE operate 2m AM anymore anywhere that anyone has heard?

I suppose working some skeds with locals known to run AM once in a while would be in order...

Thoughts?

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2ACO and KN3O like this.
  2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We have a monthly net here. Lots of interest.

The more we talk about it, the more interest there is.

I have a whole pile of rocks, but all of mine are for frequencies that aren't particularity appropriate for AM these days. Our net is on 145.7 for a list of reasons. One of these days I need a rock for that, my VFO isn't great.

Oh and we're in a small area. There are other similar operations all around further out.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah I'd be VERY VERY reluctant to use a VFO running at 8 MHz with a Heathkit Twoer :D:D

Multiply drift times 18 and good luck with that, even on AM :p

Glad to hear at least one reply that 2m AM lives at least somewhere!! I have plenty of time before my "big event" to get it on the air and experiment - maybe ping the local VHF club with my details, and start building an interest base for October 2017 and the 14 days of K1T. I just think it would be awesome to at least have a few 2m AM contacts via Lunchbox for my event :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

There may now be beacons right where ur rock is.

23 years ago there was activity on Lawn-Guy-Land on 144.280. That's the source of some online databases of 2M AM activity.

Have not heard any of those folks anywhere since.

5. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a Heath CB-1 "Breaker Breaker" W7UUU got a copy?:D

6. KC9UDX

Dave, I gotta say too, go out portable with that Twoer on Field Day. If you make one contact with it, you'll have more fun than making a hundred contracts on HF at home.

I do speak from experience. :)

KD2BRM likes this.
  7. W6GMT

W6GMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave I have one of the twoers that I built as a Novice in 1964 ? At that time Novice's had voice privileges on 2. there was a group of 4 or 5 guys that all got the kits at the same time and my Elmer over saw the construction. we had a lot of fun with them I actually got mine to work in my car. Have to go to the old homestead soon my try to find it and restore it. The crystal mike was always a problem but mine no longer works.

8. AF4K

AF4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to read about this. I know that there is a LOT of AM activity on 2m around the country on 144.450 MHz. How do I know? We have sold a large number of FT243 crystals on 8025 kHz over the past 12 years, right up until recently. There must be groups all over the country, or at least plenty of individuals.. It really surprises me how many people have rocks for 8025 and nearby!

73 to all and see you on 2m AM - Bry, AF4K
    http://af4k.com

KC9UDX likes this.
  9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The frequency of 144.350 MHz has become the defacto AM calling frequency on 2-meters. It was 144.400 MHz. However, the APRS operations on 144.390 MHz cause way too much interference especially with the wide receiver bandwidths present in the older 2-meter AM equipment.

I have an HW-30 "Twoer", a Gonset Communicator I, and a Gonset Communicator IV for 2-meter AM. I can also run one of my Uniden HR-2510 units into my Hallicrafters HA-2 transverter for AM operation.

As for using an 8 MHz VFO with the "Twoer": If the voltage, to the VFO is regulated, most of the period VFOs are stable enough for AM operation on 2-meters. If you were to use one of the DDS VFOs, then the signal should be very stable. I can use my National VFO that was made for 6-meter and 2-meter operation with any of my 2-meter AM equipment and it is pretty stable. Not stable enough for SSB but plenty stable for AM operation especially with the wide bandwidths that are common in the older 2-meter AM transceivers.

Glen, K9STH

10. KC9UDX

My Gonset VFOs are very stable, as long as they've had an hour or so to settle in.