2m/70cm SSB/FT8

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB0FTY, Jan 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. WB0FTY

WB0FTY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well the minister of finance told me last night why don't you just get a radio and antenna. I guess she knows me well after 50 yrs.. So going to Denver to pickup a FT-991A and a 7 or 9 element beam. Guess we will see how it works out.
    Thanks again to all. Lots of info and ideas. I appreciate it.

2. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will look for you this weekend in the VHF contest if you get it installed! DO NOT skimp on coax! LMR400uf minimum! If you throw away half your antenna gain with cheap coax why bother! The telescoping tower has my 2m array, this was mid install. Note the size of the coax leading back to it versus the size going up the mast by shed(that is 1/2 inch hardline there) I used 1 1/4 inch hardline to the tower.

[​IMG]

3. WB0FTY

Thanks. I was looking at lmr400 at minimum. Not sure with the cold here if I will be up in time. Getting old here and don't do cold well. LOL Hoping to get a good day but don't know as was going to Denver Saturday but sounds like the bottom is going to drop out with snow and cold. Will see how it goes.

4. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sure. From your earlier post:
    That makes quite a difference! The original poster is not likely to be putting up a station as capable as that any time soon. :rolleyes:

5. WB0FTY

I cannot put up a tower so this antenna will go on a 34 ft push up pole which will have a rotor right at the top of it and of course guyed right at the rotor and then about 20 ft below that. It will have a 6 m moxon above it. So can't have one of those giant 15 to 30 ft booms. Wondering if a M2 9ssb would be to big. I have what I have and I make due. We will see what happens and enjoy the ride. Thanks again to all who responded.
    Oh and I just got a email from a friend in Nebraska on the net I belong to and he said he has a A148-10s he will give me. He said it was given to him and is new in the box, never been opened and is about 2 yrs old. So can't beat free and if it doesn't work out I will order the M2.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

The M2 is a great antenna. I have mine up about 30' on a chimney with a 4 element 6 meter yagi and a Channel Master rotator. It's all been up there about 4 years. The M2 is light and sturdy and the 9 elements is a good mid-size yagi for 2 meters. I also have the 5 element M2 that I bought to point the other way so I didn't have to turn my antenna so much between the North/South 2 meter stations around me but didn't use it very long as it wasn't on a rotator and I found I really didn't need it as I didn't point North as much as I thought I would.

If you have never put a VHF/UHF M2 antenna together, it can be easy or it can be interesting. :D They use solid elements that slide through the boom and you slide clips in on the elements on both side of the boom to hold it in place. It's easy to slide it in but a bear to slide back if you don't get the element correct the first time. But M2 does good antennas. I also have a 18' boom 5 element 6 meter M2 antenna as well that I didn't have up very long because I felt it was to long for the chimney mounted mast and would put too much torque on the mounting and rotator with the long boom. I didn't realize how long 18' was until I got it together.

Mike

7. WB0FTY

Thanks for the info Mike. Yes I looked at one the other day in a town east of us when doing a job over there. Wow about a 30 ft boom 2 m yagi. Of course he has it on what looks to be a 70 ft crank up tower. That is one monster up there. I imagine 18 ft would be big to. I was figuring maybe 15 ft on a 34 ft pushup pole would be about the limit. The A148-10S I have been given has a 12 ft boom so I hope it works.:D

8. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually that was when I was running an Icon IC-251a driving a Mirage brick at 160 watts. Single 2m5wl to begin with then I went to a pair on a fiberglass cross boom for eme use at 160 watts!

Sure it is easier now but I know people who have done it with far less power! Matt KA0PQW with an Icom IC202 made several contacts to the east coast with 5 watts! CW of course back then. Tropo can make a small station able to make a LOT of long distance contacts. The extra power comes into play as paths are first opening or collapsing... or for brute force.

Right now with no real enhancement the WD9BGA 50 watt beacon in en 53 is S2 for me in EN24gp ~320 miles!

9. WB0FTY

Thanks. I am thinking I should be able to work ok with that 10 element I have been given. I know when I went 30 miles south of me and tried the friend of mines setup he is at 40 ft with a 7 element with 50 watts he could reach the Front range of Colorado pretty well which is about 190 miles. So with mine going to be up about 36 or so feet and antenna with more gain I should be able to at least do the same.

10. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

That's still a pretty impressive station. Most hams will never get near a 2M5WL or stacked 2M9 antennas. And a 2 meter brick is quite expensive, given that it only supports a single band.