2m/70cm SSB/FT8

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB0FTY, Jan 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB0FTY

WB0FTY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your help.

2. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy one of the DC to daylight rigs, HF+ 2m/70cm. I use FT-991's. One monitors 6m when I am not on HF, other is parked on 2m all the time. 50 watts can work a lot on 2m and you can always add an amp down the road!

3. WB0FTY

Thanks. I had been thinking about a FT-991A to update my rig. I went south yesterday to a ham buddy of mine who is blind. He has a TS-2000 setup for 2 m with a 7 element about 40 ft. We played around with it and made several SSB contacts in Colorado Springs and Denver. I have several ham friends out there I generally visit when we go to Denver who were in the military with me or worked with. Be kinda nice to be able to talk with them on SSB.

4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

those shack-in-the-boxes are not very good. most folks say the ts2000 is dead on 2m. i never had one so i couldnt say, but i've talked to several folks using them and they all agree its deaf on 2m.

the ft857d is not good. i have one. it suffers overload from oob signals. it generates too much internal noise. its not very sensitive.

i had a kenwood ts711a dedicated 2m rig: it was very good. i wish i still had it.

i use an elecraft 2m transverter with an icom 7300 now. its outstanding. my only complaint: i wish it would do 100w output so i wouldn't need an external amp. the receiver is good. doesn't need outboard helical filters like the 857d. needs no preamp (in fact it might be a bit too hot on recieve).

5. WB0FTY

Hey thanks for the info. When I went south and tried the TS-2000 the receive was down compared to his IC-706. I could definitely hear the difference. I was really surprised with 991A on 2 m SSB and FM that it did receive well IMHO. I just looked at the IC-7300. A friend of mine up in SD has both the 7300 and 991A. He says he feels the 991A is slightly better on receive on 6 and 2 than the 7300 using the transverter. So think I will head to Denver to HRO and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

With ~100 watts SSB to a 2M9 (9 elements) just above rooftop level, on the side of a hill about 200 ft above average terrain, I find that I can easily and routinely work 100+ miles. In a contest, I can get out farther, perhaps 200-300 miles with difficulty. FT8 will likely also help. On the other hand, I can routinely work from central Vermont to anything east of the Mississippi River on 6 meters when there's an opening. 6 is much easier than 2 for DX.

But Great Plains to either coast is going to be almost impossible on 2 (excluding EME). Personally, I wouldn't bother attempting it.

7. WB0FTY

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the thoughts. I used a friends radio he brought while visiting here in town and did work SSB fairly well and fairly easy to the front range of Colorado. I did work my old army buddy who is about 9,000 or so ft up in the mountains just west of Denver. I did/do have my doubts about how well it will get out otherwise.

8. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

That appears to be about 200 miles, which is perfectly reasonable 2 meter SSB distance. Very different from trying to work the coasts!

9. WB0FTY

Well I think I have kinda given up hope on reaching either coast via 2 m but have several ham friends like I said on the front range from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne, Wy. I generally only get to talk with them when I go to Denver via repeater 2 m fm. So that would be cool to be able to talk with them. I know I can reach there I think fairly easy because as I said in a post earlier I went 30 miles south of me to my blind friend who is a ham and has a cushcraft 7 element up and we made contacts easily. I was thinking on my push up pole doing a 7 or 9 element M2. Thanks again.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From SW MN I have worked NY multiple times on 2m during tropo openings, and anytime we have strong aurora it is doable... Worked other East coast states too. Now west coast only via aurora...

Or eme as mentioned!