2m/70cm home antenna siting help requested

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI4DGT, Jan 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4DGT

KI4DGT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm setting up a ham shack in my home office. Current radios include a Kenwood TM-271 coupled to an Alinco DM-330MV power supply. My current antenna is a simple 2m mag mount antenna sitting in my office on my credenza. Definitely ghetto.

Which leads me to the help I'm requesting: Where to site an external antenna on my home.

Here are some pics of my house.

Electrical service entrance to my home is in the center of the pic. My original plan to install a ~6' pole right at the gable end of the roof. But this would violate the "2x" rule about power lines. The satellite looking antenna is my internet access from the water tower about 2 1/2 miles away to the east.

[​IMG]

Another view, this time with my power pole and transformer. The power line on the right, barely visible, goes to my shop. The meter for both is at the base of the power pole.

[​IMG]

A pic of the front of the house (note Molly and Russo (barely visible) guarding the entrance). My office/ham shack is located inside the rightmost window. Note the Standing Seam Roof (which would exclude attic antennas).

[​IMG]

Gratuitous pic of the view outside my office:

[​IMG]

My original plan was to run RG-8X up the inside of my office to the attic, then transition to LMR-400 (or equivalent) through the attic and through the outside wall, then a lightning block on the outside wall near the service entrance conduit, then to an antenna mount mounted to the gable end of the attic roof. But this gable mounted antenna location puts me pretty close to the house power line.

A 2nd option is to install a single pole set into the concrete at the opposite side of the garage door at the left corner of the house. But then this would require running ground wires alone the gable wall to get to the house electrical grounding line and ground rod (assuming there is one).

Comments, suggestions and/or recommendations?

Thanks,

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Put the antenna on a TV tripod at the peak of the roof!

Skip the rg8x and use lmr400 or 9913 the entire run.

Don't worry about the electric ground.

Have you thought about lightning?

KI4DGT likes this.
  3. WB5THT

WB5THT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the requirement to just hit local repeaters?

KI4DGT likes this.
  4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you have quite a location.
    Anywhere with a little height will do.
    20 feet of 1-1/4 inch water pipe will do up the back side.
    Use a round/square piece of plywood with a locating pin in the center, make an Eve mount to fit, drop a Plumb Bob down to locate the base pin, and you good to go.
    Select a good high gain vertical and use LMR 400.
    You can always get at the antenna for any changes or repairs.
    Good luck.

5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Take advantage of one of the nearby bio-towers. Stick something like a Diamond X200 up in one of those trees. Looks like you already have some elevation in your favor. Wouldn't take much.

6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would opt for a mast or small tower on the other side of the garage door. You might be able to water jet a coax run or small conduit under the driveway. Second and quickest/cheapest choice would be to run it over the garage door and down to the entrance point near the electrical entrance. A coax in the ground is better than a coax in the air but, it’s not always practical.

In the meantime take the mag mount antenna off of the sofa and stick it on the filling cabinet or some other metallic object. At least that will give you something for a ground plane. When I first got my license I used a mag mount and a cookie sheet for a couple of months. Whatever you do just try to think ahead. You will likely want more antennas at some point.

AK5B, KI4DGT and KB0MNM like this.
  7. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Fab brackets to bolt to a corner of the porch/patio/deck foundation. Attach a good solid mast. Don't
    forget to include a pulley/halyard on mast to pull-up the center of your inverted V.

8. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

ardmore2.jpg

KI4DGT likes this.
  9. K6GBW

K6GBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your original plan is fine. Gable mounts are very strong for such a light antenna and that is a low voltage drop line and isn't really a problem. I have a Comet GP-3 mounted about that distance from my drop and it has been there for twenty years with no issue. The suggestion to switch your coax to LMR400 is a good one.

AK5B, KI4DGT and KB0MNM like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The OP has a General ticket.

I'd encourage setting up something bigger and stronger for not just a VHF-UHF antenna but for HF also...and get on HF from that very nice location! Probably a pretty "low noise level" area, which is ideal for HF work.:)

AK5B, KI4DGT, KB0MNM and 1 other person like this.