2M/70CM FM-WHY BOTHER?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W4WVW, Sep 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a cheapie BF radio monitoring 146.52 24/7 in my kitchen. No special antenna-pure stock. Never a peep...But, one evening it nearly gave me a heart attack!!!

A mobile ham was passing 10 miles south of my QTH calling CQ. His signal was booming through. I grabbed my FT60R with signal stick antenna and ran outside. We had a fun 5 minute QSO until he faded.

When I have a free evening I travel to my county high point 10 minutes away and try to stir up activity on VHF simplex. 90% of the time I make contacts. My observation is People are monitoring but no one is calling.

Erik

2. KJ7LVO

KJ7LVO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in the Spokane area simplex 2M activity is hit and miss, but about every Friday there's a group on 52. I also infrequently talk to a good friend on .46. There is a small group of us setting up for SSB 2M to try working stations in Canada.

3. K2FIX

K2FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's some repeater activity, but I've almost always scared up a QSO on 146.520 when I hilltop....on 5 watts I've worked 20-50-78 miles, with an omni antenna and modest 5w HT. Radio is like fishing...sometimes they jump in, other times nothing

4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup! This past weekend I attempted two SOTA points in Central PA using my FT60R/FT818 (Rollup Jpole/Arrow Yagi) on the first peak I managed “1” QSO in 2 hours of calling 2/6/70cm

The next point was closer to a populated area and I had no problem acquiring the 4 plus more required QSOs for points.

Your fishing analogy is spot on!