2M/70CM FM-WHY BOTHER?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W4WVW, Sep 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

*Crickets*

I scan 6 simplex frequencies and 2 local repeaters every morning.

The silence is deafening.

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

then call CQ or something.
    My HT is tuned into 146.52 and there is an active QSO from a guy who routinely chases contacts in this area. We also have a lot of SOTA activity and a good antenna can pick up some of the activators out to about 75 miles (I'm frequently one myself).

As I was driving a moving van from East NC to SW VA this weekend, I had an HT and mag mount roof antenna on the truck and noted a number of QSOs and managed a SOTA contact when I reached my destination (they were activating a summit in the mountains nearby).

It's out there.

Chris

KD2TUD, K3RW, KD2WCF and 5 others like this.
  3. W4WVW

I call CQ on 52. Rarely get answered. I'm in a fairly rural area so that probably doesn't help. I am close enough to I-95 (east central FL) to work mobile hams there. But it's rare.

4. KI4POT

Any chance you could set up a yagi up high and rotate it towards likely areas? I built one with arrow shafts and PVC pipe. It's too heavy for handholding (why I built it...too cheap to buy an Arrow II antenna), but rebuilt with a more weather-proof boom would extend your range.

Chris

KI4ZUQ and KJ7JGB like this.
  5. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

try longer waves.

NQ1B, AG5CK and N2HUN like this.
  6. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I see this kind of post about .52 often, yet, out here in Wyoming I hear activity once or twice a week, and that's not counting the local guys. I monitor on trips and have had many good conversations.

NG0L and KJ7JGB like this.
  7. WB7OKU

WB7OKU Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequencies are you scanning? I spend most of my time on HF, but have participated in some of the local nets. Just by chance I have gotten into 2M repeaters in Tampa and Jacksonville. Not often, mind you, but I could put an Orlando repeater or 2 into my scans. We should both be able to hit Orlando on occasion. K4hog is pretty active, but that's a stretch for you.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It really depends on where you live. Here near Seattle, we have a zillion "summits" due to
    all the mountains in the area. So almost every weekend, 146.52 is jumpin' with SOTA folks
    making calls. In fact some days, you can hardly get a word in edge-wise between the
    competing SOTA folks.

But I've often been mobile in "flatland" (Eastern WA or Oregon) and 52 is largely dead

Dave
    W7UUU

9. W4WVW

Can't do it. Antenna restricted community. No, I'm not moving. :D

10. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Self-Imposed limitations; we can't help you.

KD2TUD, WA7ARK, KD0NPT and 6 others like this.
  11. W4WVW

146.49, 146.52, 146.55, 146.58, 446.00, 446.50. Plus 2 different 2m/70cm repeaters. I can hit the repeaters, they're just not used much.

12. KI4POT

Understand completely. Some things are more important than ham radio. I'm 100% portable for similar reasons. I mainly do SOTA as a result, but I find that more rewarding than sitting at home on the radio anyway. Since it's too flat for SOTA, what about "Parks On The Air" (POTA)? That'll give you the excuse to get out, set up, and get on the air with a semi-captive community that are inclined to seek you out (ie chasers).

Edit to add:
    Because of the antenna restriction, are you operating at home with an HT or mobile?

Chris

KE7RUX likes this.
  13. KI4POT

That's really an asinine statement. Many things are more important than radio.

Chris

PY2RAF, ND6M and W4WVW like this.
  14. W4WVW

So your answer is I have antenna restrictions and that translates into lack of band activity. Nice.

I can hear and hit the local repeaters. There just is a dismal amount of activity. Nothing to do with my "Self-Imposed limitations". :p

15. W4WVW

I'm running 50 W into a mobile 2m/70cm antenna mounted outside on my ac unit. I can hear/hit the local repeaters and have had QSOs, just not many.

Going POTA or something similar is difficult for me as a 70 yo cancer patient.