2M/440 Rig install in Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD6BWX, Mar 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD6BWX

KD6BWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody installed a VHF/UHF rig in a Ford Ranger? Interested in how you mounted control head, main body, antenna, wiring routing. Pictures. Have a Yeasu FT-7900 and would like to hear any recommendations you might have. Jeff KD6BWX. 73

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

New (2021) Ranger or old one?

3. KD6BWX

4. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a 4" strap bent to fit, it was bolted to and slid with the seat.
    Ranger 2.jpg Ranger 1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    KD6BWX likes this.
  5. KD6BWX

6. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a B2500 which is really a Ford Ranger.

The factory installed "Entertainment Center" ( a AM-FM radio with a CD and AUX in plug ) went QRT.
    The entertainment center hole in the dash, was double DIN size.

I removed the "Entertainment Center" and got a single DIN replacement radio at a local dealer.
    I had them put the new radio in the top of the slot of the double DIN face plate, leaving the bottom slot with a blank solid face.

I mounted the remote head bracket on the blank bottom face of the double DIN cover.
    I ran the remote head cable to the blank bottom face of the double DIN cover, drilled a hole just large enough to allow the RJ-45 connector thru to connect to the remote head.
    I mounted the remote head bracket on the blank bottom face of the double DIN cove so that the microphone cord hanging down wouldn't swing back and forth and rub into the new entertainment radio's face.

I put a Motorola mobile speaker from my junk box on the passenger side of the truck hanging down from the bottom of the glove box assembly.

I ran the remote cable, and the mobile speaker cable under the floor mat on the transmission hump so that passengers wouldn't step something they couldn't see under the floor mat
    The FT-7900 Main unit was mounted on the rear wall of the cab behind the passenger seat.

For several months I used a Mag mount antenna running the cable out at floor level, and up the door frame outside the weather gasket so rain wouldn't come into the cab along the RG58 cable.
    Later, a local ham who had the tool (die) to neatly cut a hole in the roof for an NMO mount put in a permanent antenna.

The Main unit of the FT-7900 gets its power from a cable that I ran directly from the from the battery.

The power ground is NOT on the negative battery post. it is grounded nearby , but not on the battery.
    HALL effect sensors if bypassed will not sense the return voltage and the battery will be ruined.

KD6BWX likes this.
  7. KD6BWX

AI8O. Appreciate the detailed response and insight regarding the HALL sensors and battery. Good to know. Thank You!

8. KE7NIT

KE7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Once upon a time I had a '99 ranger. I installed a FT-7800 in it. I put the brains under the driver seat and mounted the remote head using two sided velcro in front/above the ash tray cover. I ran power from the steering column/firewall and ran the power and cable under the door trim and made a clean install. Also like in the above post I had a standard 3.5mm speaker plugged into the radio and had the speaker mounted on the trans hump. It was a great set up. Had the antenna on a hood mount and worked great. 10/10 would do that set up again in a future rig.

9. KD6BWX

KE7NIT. Great info. Thank you for the insight. KD6BWX

10. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page