2m/440 radio mounting in vehicle

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KB7QPS, Apr 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got mine mounted on a radio rack which is mounted to a board under my floor mat. I've got it under the passenger side dash. I can pull the whole unit out in 10 seconds floor mat and all.
    IMG_2561.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. N7DRT

N7DRT Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been on this forum very much, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know.
    I have an old 2006 Odyssey Touring. I'm wanting to put both ham radio and scanner in the van. It looks like it is going to be a nightmare though. Everything from getting power in to the rigs, to mounting the rigs, to getting signal out to an antenna, which I don't really see any good area to mount......
    Has anybody else dealt with one of these Odyssey's? I'm actually tempted to sell this, and buy something less complicated. BUT, I'd have a very unhappy wife to deal with, if I got rid of "her" van.
    Any help would be appreciated.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're not into drilling holes, you've got a real job ahead of you.

There are two different paths through the firewall. One is an extra teat on the main wiring harness grommet, and the other about midway on the firewall just above the read cylinder head.

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are posting in the correct place for VHF/UHF mobile, yet could have started your own thread. Unless you choose a cigar-lighter plug ( these usually go intermittent and seldom supply enough power without a blown fuse ) and window glass antenna mount ( temporary hang in the window, not so good for rain )- then you do have at least one other choice than what Alan described above: drill a hole or two in the firewall. If you do so, please be aware that: 1. The metal can often be a double-layer- thus you may be about to drill into something that would cripple your wife's vehicle or create a safety hazard. 2. The sharp-edge of the hole that is drilled is generally where the cable inserted later will short. Please think long and hard about: 1. Inspecting both sides of the firewall, remembering that the image you see on one side 'left' is 'right' on the other side of the firewall. Inboard and outboard ( as in towards the outside of the vehicle) work better for remembering which way to move away from that air-conditioner pass-through. Try to avoid the area near the steering column or brake booster. 2. Using a hard-plastic grommet and some split-loom tubing to cover that sharp edge from the drilling.

5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

On most cars, the best place to go through the bulkhead is behind the Glovebox.

So remove the Glove Box (usually just a couple of screws) . . .

Then by checking what's on the engine side of the bulkhead, you can find the best place to drill a small hole.

Contrary to what some people tell you, I have always run the shortest possible negative lead from the rig to the chassis, so only had to run the positive lead through the buklhead and direct to the positive terminal of the battery.

Always make sure you have a fuse in that positive lead, just after the battery, in case you ever get a short on the cable!

Roger G3YRO

6. K8ATG

K8ATG Ham Member QRZ Page

I took out the glove box and tapped (4) 10-24 holes and then mounted the main radio unit in the glove box. I then used a separation kit and mounted the face of the radio in place of a CD holder. It turned out really well. The only wire visible is the mic cord.

Andrew K8ATG

7. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Photos Andrew?