2m/440 mobile rig with freq display on mike

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3RCE, Apr 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3RCE

N3RCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I was looking for a mobile rig either 2m/440 or just 2m with the frequency display and controls on the mic. I have some certain constraints with size of the rig itself, but will worry about that if they even make something like this. I have search the net but no luck so far.... If someone could point me in the right direction irt owuld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
    N3RCE

2. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jeff,
    I have never seen a ham radio rig that has the frequency display on the mic. Would a rig that has a separation panel work for you?

There are several mobile 2m/440 rigs on the market that allow the radio body itself to be mounted under the seat of a car, in a trunk or other convenient location. The much smaller control head can be mounted some where with in easy reach. Radios like the Kenwood TM V71a have an available separation kit that provides the brackets and cables for mounting the control head anywhere. The control head is approximately 2 inches tall, about 5 inches wide and 2 inch deep. The microphone has a full key pad with additional PF keys ( programmable function keys ) that provide direct frequency entry, memory channel selection and other function control without having to touch the control panel of the radio. There is also an available voice guide module that will announce the frequency, power level, memory channel number, which VFO is selected and other information. Voice guide helps prevent taking your eyes off the road, very useful in a mobile operation.

Brian
    KB3WFV

3. N3RCE

N3RCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the information Brian saved me some searching and frustration. Now I can do some research :) Thank again

4. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you'll take an HT the old Yaesu FT-530 HTs used to have an available speaker mic with a display. I've never heard of nor seen a mobile rig with this feature. In my opinion it's unnecessary since many rigs have remote mount heads.