2m/440 install in 2014 Camry

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD5PCK, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD5PCK

KD5PCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a new Camry and plan to install a radio in it soon. Just curious if anyone else here has any experience with this particular vehicle. I'm thinking of running 12VDC to the trunk and mounting the radio there since it looks like there is no place in the passenger area to mount a radio. Just trying to mount the remote head is going to be a challenge. Any thoughts?

2. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

try considering under driver or passenger seat ? or possibly place main unit inside of engine comportment with water resistance box. that way just have to wire cord to control panel. perhaps antenna can go to hood edge using hatch back mount. may be put radio inside of glove compartment ? open it when it in use. there is also very small 10 watts 144/430 MHz radio. running cable all the way to trunk require a lot of wiring. [video=youtube_share;JrxcRlbNiTE]http://youtu.be/JrxcRlbNiTE[/video]

3. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at www.k0bg.com for some ideas. Alan's is a wealth of info.

4. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

I have a 2010 Camry with the radio body in the trunk and use a lido mount for the head.

http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/4979410.htm

I bought my seat bolt mount at the local candy store. Haven't had any issues with the install. Just use large enough gauge wire for the power run.

5. KM4CPJ

KM4CPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be wary of mounting a temperature and moisture sensitive piece of equipment in the engine compartment. Exhaust gas temps measure into the 400-500* + range (that's measure right at the exhaust port on the head). That still translates to high temps (150* +) within a cramped (ie reduced ventilated) compartment.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

6. KD5PCK

KD5PCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Still looking at options for mounting the radio and antenna. Looks like the only thing I have figured out is where to mount the radio in the trunk. I'm still trying to figure out where to mount the control head inside the cabin. I've been looking at several different mounts. Just when I figure out which mount I'm going to order, I find something more interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.