2m 1KW amplifier kit -- suitable for EME?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K3RW, Mar 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I also can't tell if this is 'all you need' to build the amp--as in a complete kit, or if this is just the bulk of components for a kit that I need more modules/components

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, check the paragraph where it mentions AB and C amplifier modes. You must choose the design option which optimizes it for either SSB or FM.

4. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out W6PQL's website. He has a lot of good info on home brew solid state amplifiers.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You need a ton more stuff than that kit. It includes the big FET module, a circuit board, and some discrete components.

You still need a 50V, 35A power supply; a big heatsink; cooling fans; an enclosure to assemble it all in; RF input/output connectors; T-R bypass relay system; DC input connector with fuse or circuit breaker; metering; etc.

It's a "baseline starter kit," and you add a whole lot to it to make a functional amplifier. W6PQL does sell this design as a more complete kit, or I believe even fully assembled (for a few thousand dollars). I'd look at his site as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention, M2 (http://www.m2inc.com) also sells an amp like this, complete (with or without the 50V power supply) -- you might check their website also.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    K3RW likes this.
  6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Darnit. I had a feeling it was too good to be true!

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Even with a kilowatt amplifier, you are going to need a lot more for EME including a pretty extensive antenna array, low loss feed line, probably a receiving pre-amplifier, and so forth.

A good working knowledge of the International Morse code will also be helpful. SSB contacts via EME are possible but require more in the antenna area unless the other station has a very good antenna array.

Yes, digital contacts do require less than CW or SSB to achieve.

I have never really attempted EME. However, I do have a couple of friends who have extensive antenna arrays and routinely work EME.

You seem to have interest in some of the more esoteric activities of amateur radio (i.e. your questions concerning ATV). Such is good. However, be forewarned that such activities require a LOT more in terms of equipment, antennas, peripheral items, etc., than "normal" SSB, FM, or CW operation. There are sites, here on the Internet, that give a lot of good information on such activities. I strongly suggest doing a "Google" on the subjects and then doing a lot of reading before trying to get your feet wet.

Glen, K9STH

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A kW or more output is almost a requirement to work 2m e.m.e. on CW, but many have done it using JT digital modes with lower power and nearly unattended operation as long as they have a reasonably high gain antenna system that can track the moon, and it's a good time of month.

My old 2m e.m.e. station in the late 1970s was four 16L KLM beams (21' booms), a pair of 4CX250Bs at 1 kW output, and about 60' of 7/8" Heliax with no preamp at all...feedline loss was <1 dB, so a preamp wouldn't have done much.

First contact was W5UN in TX who has a huge array, and he could hear me off the moon if I killed the amp and ran barefoot (tried it)! And that was CW. But Dave had something like thirty-two 13L beams with gobs of gain. Don't know if he still has that up.

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most 2m eme has moved to digital modes these days. 1kw to a single long yagi will make quite a few contacts with bigger stations. I have worked a few with 4 M2 2m12's and 1kw.