ad: ProAudio-1

2FA with 2 devices

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by N6OIL, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can one use the Google Auth app on 2 different devices? Right now I use my iPhone and want to use it also on my iPad.

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please ask your question again in the support center.
    https://ssl.qrz.com/support

Thank you,

3. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would recommend you take a look at a similar app called Authy https://authy.com/. I have a similar issue of using 2 different mobile devices and needing to have access to my authenticator on either device. Authy uses a google auth compliant totp implementation which allows you to scan the same qrcodes that google and others provide to import the token into the app on one device. Once you have the token imported on that device you tell authy to backup your tokens and on the second device you do a restore. Once done your token will be available on either device.

UA6JD likes this.
  4. N6OIL

Did you have to break your current 2FA to get the code or did you start off the Authy app from the get-go?

R-

5. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

I second the recommendation to use Authy. It’s great.

If you already have 2FA enabled, you will need to turn it off first and then resync with Authy. It’s pretty easy using two devices as you can use one device to authorize the other.

If you load Authy on another device, it will sync with the first. Simple.

6. KE0CAA

KE0CAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes if you are already using google authenticator or other similar apps you will need to turn it off and re-setup 2fa using authy as its usually not possible to access the original seeds used. Once you get everything setup in authy on a device it will restore and sync to the second device trivially and adding new authenticators on either device will sync to the others but prompt you for your backup password. I just enrolled the authy desktop app this morning and had everything ready to go in seconds.

7. N6OIL

Ok, I got Authy all setup and re-verified myself. thanks for everyone's help.

Rory-N6OIL