ad: Halibut-1

.275 Youth Group Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8LBO, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W8LBO

W8LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good evening,
         Well, you guys probably know from listening the .275 Youth Group hasn't been doing to awfully great.  We have had two canceled nets and an almost canceled one.  But when we were on we got some good amounts of check-ins.  So partially what I'm writing is to let you guys know we are still out there.  Next, I'd like to say no matter what age you are we'd like you to stop by.  The name maybe misleading but we want any check-ins.  The net is to promote youth in amateur radio, not to exclude adults from it.  So no matter if your 90 or 4, stop by.  Next, we don't own a frequency.  We thought 7.275 was a free frequency, but now it is starting to get some use, so we hop around them.  Don't tune to 7.275, hear a different group and press the power button, we're somewhere else, tune around a bit +/- within a 10Khz of the frequency.  The other guys have just as much of a right to the frequency as us and we're going to respect that.  
        Finally, the main point I'm bringing up.  Since we are having trouble, we're starting up a weekly e-mail newsletter.  It will inform people of how the previous weeks net went and the plan for next week, as well as some other stuff.  I'm hoping it will encourage people to check-in.  If you'd like to sign up for the newsletter just drop me an e-mail at: the_275_youth_group@yahoo.com .  If you decide you don't want it afterwards just let me know and I'll drop you from the list.
    We meet every Saturday at 9:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Savings Time, which is 01:00z Sunday, as a quick reminder.
    73 and I hope to hear from you soon,
    Timothy W8LBO

2. AE0Z

AE0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep working at it, guys!  Getting any kind of net started can be a challenge.  A Youth Net will be more so, because your biggest source of interest is only a subgroup of hams in general, and every one of them will eventually leave it.  Keep providing regular notices about the net, I think your efforts will be rewarded in time.  The increased interest in recruiting among the young will work in your favor.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I might checkin if i knew the times to checkin [​IMG]

4. W8LBO

Sorry about that, I edited the post so their on there now.
    73 catch you later,
    Timothy W8LBO

5. KC8QMU

KC8QMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I haven't been able to be around by the radio the last couple of weeks to check in, but I haven't forgotten about it![​IMG]

6. AB8TM

AB8TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it will gain some steam as it gets colder? Good luck to you

7. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

Don't ever give up. I sincerely hope your Youth Group Net succeeds! [​IMG]

8. N9AH

N9AH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your attatude regarding the use of the freq. shows a very mature attatude. I am not being sarcastic, I really think so and wish your net well. Good luck and the future of ham radio looks a little brighter...
    Doug
    KC9AYS

9. KD8ADJ

KD8ADJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys.....im 16 and i just got my license. i am part of the Milford High school Communications club. im interseted in the youth net. and there are a few other kids i kno that would be too...
    Derek Nelson
    KD8ADJ

10. W8LBO

Ok, very good, we'd like to hear from you.  Look up about 7.281 though, since that's generally clear.
    Tim

11. W5CRD

W5CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Hey Tim,
    Wish you all the success and IF, in my old age, I can remember the time and freq. I will drop by occasionally.
    Randy

12. KB5ELV

KB5ELV Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy,

Once we get back from Ukraine, I hope to check in. I'm glad you're not excluding us young-at-heart types; I'm 31 now, got my license at 14, and had an awful hard time finding other young people! Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that y'all have got this net going, and I look forward to playing with y'all [​IMG]

Vy 73!

13. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will listen around this saturday and see if I find the net...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.