ad: RichCrouch-1

25w V 100w on 2mtr ssb ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by GM1ZVJ, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Another vote for "do it"

For a number of years I ran a Kenwood 2m all-mode for CW & SSB into a Mirage 160w amp into an M2 11-element beam at 45 feet. The amp very often made the difference between making the contact and not making the contact.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS and WA3GWK like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It certainly helps.

Even more than getting two tens for a five.

3. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

first 100 watts is the most important, especially from 25 watts.

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoken like a true military man!

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no replacement for displacement.

Rege

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it's a dB thing.:)

25W -> 100W: 6 dB
    100W -> 160W: 2 dB

The extra 2 dB is worth it when you're trying to work a signal that's 1 dB over the noise.:p But the 6 dB really helps.

Those who are really seriously into VHF work often spend serious $ for a 0.5 dB improvement. Back in the 70s-80s, I was guilty of that, myself. I'd spend $200+ and several hours of work to replace my 1/2" hardline with 7/8" hardline on 2 meters, and the resultant benefit was literally about 1/2 dB on TX and 1/2 dB on RX, so total station improvement 1 dB. But I was a bit nuts, and so are a lot of weak-signal VHF-UHFers.

HF can spoil us. I can lay 50' of hookup wire on the ground here and tune across 40 meters and hear 100 signals just fine. More like a thousand if there's a contest.:p

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

At VHF height is King! I'd go up to Mt Equinox at 3800 ft and work stuff with 10 watts that nobody else could work unless they were on a similar location, like Mount Greylock to the South. Yes, we could easily see each other's mountains! But, it took some technical skill to bring a station that wouldn't be clobbered by the 150 transmitters at the summit. I had a booming signal if I ran an amp. What made it special was that I was so much higher than the surrounding terrain.

Zak W1VT

8. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Going fast is easy.
    Turning and stopping is the hard part.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Going from 25 Watts (but isn't the TS-711 only 10 watts???) to 100 Watts IS a decent increase; going the extra power to 160 Watts may or may or may not be helpful. The REAL improvement (in your radio and/or antenna) is if you can hear them, but they can't hear you. If you can't reasonably hear them, increasing YOUR power just causes more QRM.