25w V 100w on 2mtr ssb ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by GM1ZVJ, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. GM1ZVJ

GM1ZVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Running an old Kenwood ts711e / 9 element beam and 25 watts ssb on 2mtrs ssb. planning on adding a smallish linear to the set up and just wonder if the small increase from 25 watts up to say 100watts in actually worth it in the real world ? Thoughts ?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure it is.

It's 6 dB, which is quite a lot.

I don't know what you normally encounter there, but "here," half the signals I work on 2m SSB are in the S1 signal strength range (because they're far away). If those S1 signals reduced power by 6 dB (e.g., from 100W to 25W) I wouldn't hear them at all.

N3AWS, WA3GWK and K0UO like this.
  3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many small SS 2 meter linear amplifiers are 160+ watts output. I would pay difference for 160+ watts vs 100 watts.

N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  4. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely worth it on 2 meters!

N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  5. GM1ZVJ

GM1ZVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay thanks guys will see what is out there on the used market .

N3AWS likes this.
  6. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You tell us if it is worth it or not. Here are some scientific facts to help you make a decision.

The inverse-square law, in physics, is any physical law stating that a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity. The fundamental cause for this can be understood as geometric dilution corresponding to point-source radiation into three-dimensional space.

So what that means in RF is the rule of thumb it takes a 6 dB of gain to double the distance. Inverse Square Law is not limited to RF or even electrical. Example in automotive if it takes 100 hp to make your car go 60 mph, how much horse power does it take to go 120 mph given the same conditions. Answer 398 hp or round off at 400 hp.

However more TX power is not always necessary. It works, but there are much better ways if conditions are right. Example lets say you are on 2m using SSB to talk across town to a friend or base operation. The signal is weak and somewhat noisy for both of you and you want to improve signal strength. How do you fix it?

A ham operator would like throw a lot of money at it buying two expensive amplifiers to give a 6 dB gain each direction. Pros would just replace the antennas at both ends with 3 dB of gain for a fraction of the cost of amplifiers.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. WA3GWK

When someone asks "what time is it?", you don't need to tell him how the clock works.:)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    N8VIL and WG7X like this.
  8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a 160W brick amp with a 4 element beam on Microwave + 2M portable operations. The 2Mbeam is small enough to toss in the trunk of my car and drive away.
    No worries about the antenna icing up and not being able to disassemble it for transport home!

I had one operation in Rhode Island where I had to decide how long I'd stay before the wet weather turned to ice.

Zak W1VT

N3AWS likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If they ask me, I just say I am deeply grieved and greatly humiliated, but for some unforseen circumstance, one over which I had no control, the innermost workings of my chronometer are of such discordance the the great sidereal movements that I cannot with any degree of accuracy foretell the correct time.

Simple as that.

WA9SVD likes this.
  10. WA3GWK

That works!