ad: QuirkyQRP-1

25 Years Ago...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to email to see what he had posted up here. Oh My... :oops: I will say this, at one time he really knew how to show a gal a good time... ;) That is if you like watching Alligators while not stepping on huge snakes. :eek:

Erika DD

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

"What's the internet?"o_O was asked by KØDD OTA one evening on 3770 KHz about 30 years ago.

A sincere question, yet an admission of naivete, it became a long lasting tongue-in-cheek battle cry retort within the NAQRO Group, who were otherwise often berated with the put down "Way ahead of you!" from the otherwise always omniscient DD back then. :rolleyes:

Initially bristling at our teasing, I am tickled glad to see acceptance of owning it, "the WTI? moment", as self-effacing humor. If so it's a shiny badge of respectable humanity. :cool:

Or was it a prophecy? :eek:

LLAP :) --- WØPV

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We really need to thank Fred Lloyd for having the foresight to not only create an online Callsign Lookup. But then having the insight to allow the system to grow, mutate and expand itself into a quality location on "What's the Internet". It has become a system that not only provides near instant callsign lookup and loading into high-end Internet linked logging applications, but has a repository for aging techno-types of generations past, present and future to make complete fools of ourselves. o_O

Erika DD

W0PV likes this.
  4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I was 25 again...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

MM0XXW likes this.
  5. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations to the 'Zed' and everyone who sails in her :cool:

6. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations and thank you Fred! As an anniversary present, I've had FINALLY signed up for 2 years and apologize for taking so long. If I want to play, it's only fair I should pay.
    Here's to 25 more and thanks again.
    Tryon
    W1TRY

7. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks QRZ for the 25 years service.
    This is also a special year for me as on the 25-03-93 i upgraded to unrestricted licence which gave me more bands and extra power.
    Hope to be around another 25 years but i don't think so.
    73 to all.
    Peter
    VK6APZ.

W1TRY likes this.
  8. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy 25 to QRZ Fred. Best wishes for many more happy years to The Zed!

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, the memories of Wayne Greens Byte Magazine which led the birth of the Microcomputer. On to a Sinclair, a Commodore 64, a "fast" 286 home assembled PC, the rapid changes in DOS, the virus invasions, the trials and tribulations of Win 3.0/3.1 and into the BSOD generator WIN 95. Toss in the death of Wang Labs who thought they could take on IBM in the fledgling PC world. Sometimes I wonder how I survived it all:eek::rolleyes:

Those wonderful days of Napster building up a several GB collection of memories of the early days of Rock and Roll which I still listen to.

The Netscape-Explorer wars, the games AOL played to keep your money, Juno and free email, and more.

Carl
    Ham since 1955

10. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me Qrz is more like 73 magazine was back in the day and that’s a cool thing to have as a entity all by itself I support 100% see you for the next 50 Fred
    Great job om ...!!!

11. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Fred and the team at QRZ for all you do for the Amateur radio community. Congrats on your 25th, I had Windows 3 then and no internet.

12. N4QMS

N4QMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow.

Text.

A shell account.

Dialup.

Seemed like all you would need at the time.

Thanks to Fred and all for quite a ride.

Here's to another 25.

At least!