25 APRIL .... the day of the father of the radio : MARCONI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

From the dictionary...

Ether

A hypothetical medium formerly believed to permeate all space and to be the medium through which light and other electromagnetic radiation move. The existence of ether was disproved by the American physicists Albert Michelson and Edward Morley in 1887.

You think Tesla didn't know this? Tesla was not a linguist, he didn't use ether but he said the energy went through the air because to him, what else was there? Semantics.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Course he knew it. That's why he was specific on listing air and ground conduction in his patent claims:)

No ether for Tesla. Here---you can ask him yourself.....

tssla.JPG

"No ether."

He's nodding his head---no...no...no...no...no..no....no...no..no.....

3. UB1ACI

UB1ACI Ham Member QRZ Page

My friends, if you live in America and did not go beyond your state
    then ask yourself how old is Europe?
    I asked on one European site: Who invented the radio?
    One Frenchman answered (do you know anything about France?) -
    Radio invented courseÉdouard Eugène Désiré Branly
    And he is absolutely right. Without Coherer there would be no radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Édouard_Branly

4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the books about Tesla. They are enlightening AND make one stop and think that here was a man who was a century before his time. He had to be dead and buried more than 50 years before people realized it was more than an expensive car.

There are tons of information in his biographical books, much-much more than reading patent literature. I do not have to read the literature: This is NOT about legal ownership of a patent, it is about who "invented" radio. For Tesla to transmit electrical power 26 miles using electromagnetic wave processes and ignore that it was a form of radio revolves around semantics.

Many theories are bound with what it means to this or that person. In fact, one preacher said that many theological problems revolve around what some people's definition of Grace is.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, he was one inventor.

But not Tesla.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Patents are very specific in their claim construction. IF Tesla thought there was an explanation invoking ether, he had ample opportunity to show this, through his notebooks, if not his patent disclosure. Back then patents were 'first to invent'.

But he never did.

Why? Because he never said it (air and ground conduction=ether), at least up to the time of this patent.

A posteriori don't count in patents and thus patented inventions.

Tesla continues to nod : no....no....no....no...noooo.

I believe you will never find any patent or court decision that says "Tesla invented radio." The 1943 decision doesn't say that: it says that specific DEVICES--such as a resonant circuit-- were "anticipated" by Tesla. Thus Marconi's inventive claims that assert said novelty of such devices were revoked due to prior art.

Chip W1YW

7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

This argument is going nowhere. Twist it into a question of ether? Better to just ignore the Tesla naysayers.

I am not championing Tesla. I do know that Tesla was the originator of many of the original ideas that Marconi assembled to create a workable and successful radio communications system.

Who cares about the patent? What is more important is who had the idea first and who made the idea actually work.

Enough. I do not want to toss this back and forth with you, Chip. You have your mind made up and you're no dummy. I also have my mind made up but we are mostly talking about different things. You're centered on the patent thing mainly because you have been involved in the patent process. I am more interested in who had the idea first and without Tesla's ideas, Marconi could not have done what he did when HE INVENTED radio communication.

Under analysis, other early "inventors"of radio were also inspired by Tesla AND Marconi plus no doubt others. It was the age of invention.

8. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio would not have been invented without assembling components invented without using the ideas of others. Whether they got patents on them or not is irrelevant.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well:)!

THEY didn't think so!!!

;-)

10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

More semantics?

You nod your hear for "yes" — shake your head for "No."
    :):):)

Thread Status: