25 APRIL .... the day of the father of the radio : MARCONI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Marconi invented a form of radiotelegraphic communication with his radio. While he was an early inventor of this technology, there was another inventor that used voice as the communications medium. This is from the last website cited in my earlier post and repeated here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radiohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radio

20th century
    In 1900, Brazilian priest Roberto Landell de Moura transmitted the human voice wirelessly. According to the newspaper Jornal do Comercio (June 10, 1900), he conducted his first public experiment on June 3, 1900, in front of journalists and the General Consul of Great Britain, C.P. Lupton, in São Paulo, Brazil, for a distance of approximately 5.0 miles (8 km). The points of transmission and reception were Alto de Santana and Paulista Avenue.

One year after that experiment, he received his first patent from the Brazilian government. It was described as "equipment for the purpose of phonetic transmissions through space, land and water elements at a distance with or without the use of wires." Four months later, knowing that his invention had real value, he left Brazil for the United States with the intent of patenting the machine at the US Patent Office in Washington, DC.

Having few resources, he had to rely on friends to push his project. Despite great difficulty, three patents were awarded: "The Wave Transmitter" (October 11, 1904), which is the precursor of today's radio transceiver; "The Wireless Telephone" and the "Wireless Telegraph", both dated November 22, 1904.

2. KK6PKN

KK6PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is a little off topic, but Motorola's beginning had a lot to do with the inventive William Lear. Young Mr. Lear worked for the (Joseph and Paul) Galvin Manufacturing Corporation of Chicago which became Motorola in 1947. The first automobile radio was tested in an old Studebaker. Also, founder of Lear Jet Corporation.

William named a daughter Chanda Lear (like a chandelier).

Mr Lear didn't have a college education degree as did not Steve Jobs. Just putting it out there.

Tesla? Car manufacturer located about fifteen miles from where I live.

Thank you.

Jesse Castillo
    KK6PKN

IW2BSF and KK5R like this.
  3. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I sure did not forget Mr. Tesla if you look on my QRZ page in the upper right you all will see my TESLA coil in action ! shocking is it not !!! I have had that up there for years. And I guess tomorrow will be lets bash T.Edison day HiHi 73 all KI6PMD..

KK5R likes this.
  4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Read John O'Neil's book "Nicola Tesla — Prodigal Genius" to see why Edison should be bashed. Edison was a user and many of the good things attributed to Edison are myths.

5. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

??? sorry Sir, but Tesla isn't the inventor of the radio ! this is a clear point !

Tesla was a (mad) GREAT genious , it job & game with the AC current and to trasport in wireless the AC...

it not speriment like Marconi the radio comunication ... the REAL inventor ( it assembly and experiment) or the RADIO for comunication is ONLY marconi.

best 73 de IW2BSF

6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tesla's history shows that he did invent radio and that Marconi sat in his lecture/s about it. Marconi went one stop further, he made radio a commercial success. Before this, though, Tesla transmitted power for 26 miles. There are two books written about this, one by John O'Neil and the other by an English lady but I have forgotten her name.

Marconi's accomplishment is that he took Tesla's idea, experimented with it and invented a practical radio that became a commercial success.

Marconi knew how to market the idea while Tesla had problems with people who could have backed and supported him but they did not. That's the history of radio. Research reveals this regardless of who was the first to register the patent/s for the invention. Reading the literature of the history of radio and those people connected with it makes it clear.

This is not to take away from Marconi's accomplishments because if not for Marconi, radio would only be a laboratory curiosity and a military secret.

Marconi's radio saved lives, many lives. Tesla's radio was a laboratory experiment.

If Tesla had properly done the patenting and worked to make it a commercial success, then we'd be talking about Tesla's radio and not Marconi's radio.

In all honesty, the invention of radio is best seen as a shared invention but Marconi gets more credit for it.

KI6PMD likes this.
  7. KE0HTG

KE0HTG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmmmmm seems to me the bottom line is Marconi was all about the profit to be made while on the other hand Tesla would have gave it away for free to anyone for the good of mankind just my opinion and we know what those are :}

KK5R likes this.
  8. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radio

" In 1894 the young Italian inventor Guglielmo Marconi began working on the idea of building a commercial wireless telegraphy system based on the use of Hertzian waves (radio waves), a line of inquiry that he noted other inventors did not seem to be pursuing. "

9. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

yes ! here here !

KK5R likes this.
  10. IW2DMO

IW2DMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the Russian Radio Day, on May, 7th and include Popov among the others who contributed to the development of the radio.

KX1MAD and KK5R like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.