23cm omnidirectional vertical antenna

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4DQE, Dec 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered a 9700 and now I need a 23cm antenna. I was considering getting a Comet GP-95, since it is similar to the Diamond X-50 I have already, but tri-band, and not much longer than the X-50. I live in an HOA and the HOA approved the X-50 on my roof a while ago, so I was thinking of just quietly replacing the X-50 with the GP-95 and using a triplexer to feed the antenna.

If I understand correctly if folks are using yagi's locally, this won't work since it will be horizontally polarized, so that mat be the biggest downfall. I've written to the owners of a few local repeaters here to see what antenna setups they are using. If vertical I'll go with vertical.

In any case - what sort of performance can I expect out of 10 watts on 23 cm with an omnidirectional antenna? It's mounted on my roof above the roof line.

2. W5EKG

W5EKG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RepeaterBook shows 5x 23cm within a 50 mile radius and 9x within a 100 mile radius of Winter Park, Fl. 7 of those DSTAR. So depending on height, I'd say you'll have a pretty good shot a hearing activity with a vertical which is what those repeaters are going to be on.

I'm running the 9700 as well, but I don't have any 23cm repeaters in my area so I'm running a M2 23M35 yagi (horizontally). I've made SSB contacts with 10w from a noisy urban neighborhood to about 80ish miles out no problem. That was on a 30' tower right outside my shack with a LMR400 run totaling about 45' from antenna to radio. Just make sure to use good coax and N connectors. LMR400 at the bare minimum, LMR600 if you can unless its and extremely short run from antenna to radio. Stay away from N type to SO239 adapters on 23cm as well. I'm putting mine on a different tower at a new QTH now and running 7/8" hardline since its a 125" run to the tower and another 75" on top of the tower and I know I'm still going to have to deal with losses until I get a small 23cm amp.

Your situation for local repeater and simplex work should work fine at 10w if there's activity. You seem to be pretty saturated repeater wise. whether they're used or not is another story.. For a triband vertical, I don't know much about the Comet's, but the Diamond X6000A seems to be gaining a lot of attention since the 9700 was released and appears its been out for several years with reviews going back to 2005. It also covers 2m/70cm/23cm.

Not sure if that answers your question, but hope it's some helpful information. I was having fun on 23cm. It's a hard band to work here in Oklahoma, but fun when contacts are on. It's a pretty quiet band not susceptible to much RFI either. Which I dealt with a lot at my last QTH from HF going all the way into 70cm band sometimes. So 23cm was a nice break from the racket.

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

For FM use, why not just use a Discone & get all VHF/UHF frequencies?

Ed

4. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses. We are fairly lucky to have quite a few 23cm repeaters nearby. When I installed the antenna for 2m/70cm, I used 7/8" heliax because its about 100 foot run, and used all N connectors. Buy once, cry once! It's been worth it though since amps for VHF/UHF are fairly pricey and hard to come by - I wanted the best I could get for my coax first.

I'd love a larger antenna, the only problem is the HOA. They are not keen on many things antenna wise - which is why I originally went with a modest X50. The X6000 is a nice antenna, but I think it will be too long for their taste. I'll give the GP-95 a run and see how it goes!

W5EKG likes this.
  5. W5EKG

W5EKG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think since he’s going to be trying to reach 50+ miles out with just 10w, he’ll need every bit of gain he can get. Discone’s are broadbanded, but unfortunately they’re typically poor on gain figures. I have one hooked up to my RSP2 and tried it on my 9700 just to see if i could pick up a Dstar repeater that was about 90 miles out without success.

AA7QQ likes this.