23cm band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by DL2JML, Jul 1, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple question: are there any commercial transceivers available for the 23cm band? The only one I am aware of is the IC-9700, are there other ones? Portable/handheld ones?

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was an option on the Kenwood TS-2000 which has only recently gone out of production. I seem to recall that either ICOM or Yaesu had an HT which covered 23cm, but that has been out of production for a long time.

Martin (G8FXC)

3. DL2JML

Icom, Kennwood and Yaesu all had 23cm HT in the late 90s, but I cannot find anything equivalent today.

4. G8FXC

It's difficult to justify the cost of putting 23cm into an HT in marketing terms - the range is short and the number of repeaters is small. It's certainly not something that I would pay any price premium for.

Martin (G8FXC)

5. IK0ZSN

IK0ZSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering what's the activity on 23cm like these days? Repeaters? Satellites? EME maybe?

6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The only significant 23 cm terrestrial activity I know of here is weak-signal, and it is mainly concentrated to one contest day of the month. A few EME stations exist.

About 20 years ago, there were FM repeaters built in two metropolitan areas but from what I learned, very few used them.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

IK0ZSN likes this.
  7. DL2JML

A quick search in repeaterbook.com shows 191 repeaters with confirmed online status in the USA for the 23cm band.

8. G8FXC

How many of them are analogue voice? We had quite a few in the UK, but they tended to be TV... Not really suitable for use via HTs.

Martin (G8FXC)

9. DL2JML

Only 6 of them are ATV. 68 are analogue voice, the rest D-Star.

10. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

Alinco makes an handheld with the model number DJ-G7T. It is a 144MHz, 440 MHz and 1.2 GHz, three band hand held transceiver.
    I believe Ham Radio Outlet in the US sells them:
    https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010038