230V Neutral === Ground ??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by OE4KSF, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. OE4KSF

OE4KSF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But thinking on it - I don't think I would like to have the protecting ground cable running inside the house/building - so I will digg it down outside - going around and into the intake fuse box. It will not be the shortest way, but maybe not be a bad thing to have a bare 6mm2 copper wire digged down around the house anyway ?
    Where this ground cable already existing is coming from today - I have no idea. The water intake pipe is plastic - maybe it's digget down together with this one - as often done in Norway ?
    In the main intake cable - there is no ground - only 4 wires - 3 for three-phase + N

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, go around the perimeter (outside) of the house.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM
  3. WA8NVW

WA8NVW Ham Member QRZ Page

With 3 phase voltage supplied from power network, the neutral wire is USUALLY = ground. Check this with your electric provider (or a local electrician who is also an amateur) before proceeding further.
    Your tower ground, antenna arrestor grounds, and any added driven rods should all be bonded to that entrance cable ground lead outside your home.
    Here in the USA we can use split-bolt clamps to comply with the electrical safety code; thermal welding is not required. But we are not Oestereich!

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very few residential customers need or have three-phase power. I've never known anyone that did.

5. WA8NVW

WA8NVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 60's and 70's when nuclear power was lowest cost to produce, electric utilities in the northeast USA were giving 50% discounts for all electric homes and HUUUGE discounts if they installed 3-phase resistive heat. In both the USA and Europe, 3-phase in multi-tenant buildings is quite common.