222 mhz activity

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA0EIV, May 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KG6UTS

KG6UTS Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

220 is picking up here again in the PNW, but its almost strictly SSB/CW. And mostly SSB at that.

I thought by now there would be some contesting folks on FT8 for it. Checked the last VHF contest scores, um, no not at all. We get a fair amount of people now on 2m and 70cm FT8 during contests, but zilch for 220.

5. KI7CIL

KI7CIL Ham Member QRZ Page

CONDOR repeater net is still active, so I am told, in Arizona and california

6. AD5CL

AD5CL Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a handful of folks in the area of Ft. Worth that are on 1.25m on a pretty regular basis. I am one of them. Most usually on the Mansfield machine and sometimes on the Rosston one. I would look up the frequencies but my Google Fu is weak, and my butt is lazy. lol

7. KG7ZFC

KG7ZFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to add 1.25m to my capabilities, and I ended up getting 3 IC-3SAT HTs in various conditions (2 work fine, 1 is wonky so it's a parts rig). There was a fellow here who was running a weekly net on a repeater, but he left; I don't know if the net will continue or not. There are a few repeaters, but I've not spent a lot of time scanning them to see what activity is like. I use a WB6IQN j-pole as an external antenna and it works great.

Getting on the band isn't expensive these days: an Alinco DR235, a Bridgecom HT or mobile, or even a BTech/Baofeng tri-band will do it. Combine that with a cheap j-pole like Ed Fong's (WB6IQN) and you're on. If you like to play around and try different bands, 220/1.25m is a great place to experiment.

Use it or lose it!

K3RW likes this.
  8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

On Ebay 'The Transverter Store' makes an affordable transverter for 222. Run 28MHz in, and get 222 out. I know a few people running that exact kit. Note: it is not the same exact kit as another Ukraine seller--this is the one from The Transverter Store. Be careful you know which one that is, both sellers are from Ukraine and I've heard mixed on the 'other' kit.

Only criticism I've heard of the units thus far is the signal isn't very clean when driven above 4w. But that's enough to do SSB, and key almost any repeater, assuming you have 10m FM on your IF rig. At less than $100 fully tested/assembled/shipped, its a heck of a bargain. Sure, doesn't compare to DEMI units, but also 1/5th the cost.

9. KG7ZFC

KG7ZFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I'm probably going to pick up one of those. I have a Radio Shack HTX-100 10m mobile rig, so I could use that as an IF rig for SSB; I already have 220 FM mobiles and HTs. Thanks for the information.

10. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chicago has a very vibrant 220Mhz community. At the core is the 220Mhz Guys and Gals- and a number of other clubs. If you are in the area the WM9W repeater is up at 490ft and is reachable across the lake in MI with a decent beam.

There is also a 220Mhz sideband net that I'm aware of. But do not remember the frequency or time.

KG7ZFC likes this.