220 MHz Propagation?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE7RUX, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,
    What do you know about the 220MHz band and the band's propagation? I am inquiring about your knowledge, experience, or even research, data, studies, etc. you may be aware of.
    I have found little information for this frequency...anything helps!

Thank you & 73

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been on 135cm since about 1969 (weak signal work, CW-SSB) and it's very similar to 2m; however, during tropo ducts, it's usually better than 2m, as a lot of ducts work great on 24 GHz, 10GHz, etc. down to maybe 432 MHz and 222 MHz is the "lower end" of what the duct can support, so sometimes 222 MHz is WAY better than 144 MHz.

Some ducts don't even work well at 222 MHz, and 432 MHz is about the lowest frequency they support.

But otherwise, you won't see much difference between 222 MHz and 144 MHz.

144 MHz may support sporadic-E occasionally (it's rare) and 222 MHz usually will not. But that's such an infrequent occurrence I wouldn't worry about it. After almost 50 years on 135cm, the only time I ever worked E-skip on the band was in June 1987 when operating from Chincoteague Island, VA (WB2WIK/4 during the June VHF QSO Party) and worked WB5LUA in TX from VA. That was a pretty good DX contact for the band, but it's such a rare event I would not base any decisions on it.

Now that we have very weak signal digital modes available, this may happen more often than I know; but back then, it was CW-SSB only.

3. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the info!
    I have heard that 220MHz propagation is a cross between 144 and 440, for example occasional Tropo as you mentioned, less vegetation absorption as compared to 70cm, object reflection, etc.
    Of course, it has been hear-say, and I haven't seen any studies! Surely there are some out there!

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams don't create many "studies," they just report what they've worked.

If you scan decades of old QSTs and CQs ("VHF" columns) you'll find hundreds of examples of anecdotal stories of who worked who, and when, under what conditions, etc. When I wrote the "VHF" column for CQ magazine in the 1980s I reported dozens of such stories.