220 Mhz Propagation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:53 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,
    I am inquiring of yall about research, data, studies, experiments, etc. that have been done on 220 MHz propagation; whether it's on the ham band or in close proximity to the ham band (i.e. commercial 220-222MHz, UHF Airband 225+MHz, etc.) I have found little of any for this frequency and I would like to see what all of you know or have found about the band. Anything helps!

Thank you & 73

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hi, my limited experience is 220MHz is a lot like 144MHz. can do meteor scatter, some folks do moonbounce, occasionally get tropo. not many people on. I have not tried any digimodes, I am sure there is some activity. It is quieter than 144, not as much noisy junk intruding there, or nearby. Ask around at your local club to see what the activity is

Lots of folks are getting 220 mobile rigs. I get many more QSOs on Field Day and VHF contests on FM than on SSB. Do you have a 25w mobile rig? Maybe there are weekly nets etc. near you.

around here some of the repeaters are cross-bsnd, so plenty of activity; but you may already be able to get those with your 2m or 79cm rigs.

enjoy!

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

You would probably get much more useful info if you posted to the 50 MHz and above VHF forum. BTW The band 225 to 400 Mhz is assigne exclusively to the government in the United States. The 222 MHz FM band, it seems, is becoming more popular with the introduction of cheaper equipment from a fairly new company in Missouri. (see QST) I haven't been on 222 Mhz in 30 years so I am no expert.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. KE7RUX

No, my 220MHz experience has been limited to 5w HT's, and unfortunately there is only extremely limited use on the band in my area. There are no 220 MHz repeaters, and any activity on the band are done on handhelds.
    I'm specifically interested in how the signal propagates, specifically to learn enough about it to present a study to my ham society.

5. KE7RUX

Thank you, 13 & 73