...220 Band Mobile...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2UFP, Feb 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2UFP

KA2UFP Ham Member QRZ Page

anytone at588, tyt 9000d, alinco235 cost $2.....need some input...any other 220 mobile...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Alinco. Just because it has the best chance of not being a big POS.

NK2U and NN4RH like this.
  3. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

My Experience:
    I'm very happy with my TYT-9000D-220. It's been mounted in my vehicle for about 5 years, through Michigan winters, desert Southwest summers, and everything in between. Never any problems, it's worked well every time I have used it. The audio quality is as good as it needs to be, both TX and RX.
    TYT offers spreadsheet-like programming software, and I've found that to be very useful versus trying to program from the front panel / microphone.

What I don't enjoy? This (and it seems other Chinese manufactured radios like it) have been designed at their core to compete in the world of Land Mobile or business radios, where a radio manager would program the unit, and the user would have little need to adjust or change anything. Combine that with a less-than-helpful translated Operation Manual, and it makes daily use more complicated, but not too bad. I keep the manual in PDF form on my phone, so it's always handy.
    Also, similar to the other Chinese-made radios, it is not restricted to the US / Canada Amateur bands, and could be mistakenly (or intentionally!) set to transmit in illegal territory.
    Other users have reported some failures, but I've never seen any of that with my unit.

My Opinion:
    I chose this model over my best choice (Alinco) entirely because of the low price. If money were not an issue, I would definitely have purchased the Alinco DR-235, as it should be much better suited to Amateur use, and easier to operate.

Best of luck with your choice!
    Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

...all shite...dont buy, spend on typing....message can read....not...

AC8UN and K7MH like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bridgecom BCM-220 is my choice. Slightly more power than the Alinco, wider transmit band coverage, seems a bit more rugged to me (I've had both).

However I see they're sold out (!) and say they will be shipping again in April: https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/products/bcm-220-mhz-mobile-radio

The Bridgecom and Alinco are the same price. We have a lot of active 222 MHz repeaters around here and it seems the rig of choice lately has been the BCM-220.

NL7W likes this.
  6. KA2UFP

$124-130 not bad deal.....any issue with manual programing?? I manually program my baofengs......thank uuu

7. KA2UFP

8. KA2UFP

any issues with manual program

9. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that trying to program from the front panel (manually) is very confusing, and when I tried I always seemed unable to find one or two of the important settings. I can't remember which ones caused me trouble, because I've been using the PC to program it for so long.

You might try to install the TYT programming software before you buy one, and see if it makes sense to you : http://www.tyt888.com/?mod=download The TH-9000 file is near the bottom of that page.

I've never used any of the other radios, so I have no knowledge about them, or their ease of programming.
    Steve / WB2WIK suggested the Bridgecom radio, and you might take a good look at them. They are USA based company, and I've heard they are very friendly folks, who will answer questions quickly, and treat you like a grown-up, which other manufacturers seem hesitant to do. (Not my personal experience, but there's a lot of evidence on QRZ and the web.)

Good Luck with your search,
    Cheers,
    N2PQW / David

10. KG5RBG

KG5RBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Another vote for the Bridgecom. I'm getting one soon. American company with boots on the ground listening to the needs of actual hams, with sales/support here in the US. They make the effort to show at many hamfests. The display looks great also, and these guys have been selling their proven 220 repeaters to clubs.

Rich KG5RBG