"220-7" stationmaster (Celwave?) antenna questions, (HELP PLEASE)

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N1VAU, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I acquired a couple of these antennas, the only marking is "220-7" and the serial number by the coax connector. They were in service and taken down by a crane. 1 got damaged and the fiberglass got cracked near the top, I'll repair that if I find a good use for the undamaged one.

The fiberglass is still shiny and it was said they were put up in 2005.

So I Google'd and came up with these are 165-174Mhz antennas, right in line with the agency that formally occupied the building. I also found that these things cost ~$950 new.

So today I set up the undamaged one about 10' to SWR test it. I got about 2.5:1 for 2 meters. Just messing around I tried GMRS UHF, the match is about 1.5:1 so now I'm questioning what band antenna I have.

:confused:

Questions:
    What band antenna do I REALLY have?

What are these antennas worth??

Any insight will be appreciated!

~N1VAU

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Cellwave 220-7 series is for the 165 MHz to 174 MHz range. They are listed on the Hutton Communications website:

http://www.hol4g.com/ac/shop.aspx?m=6111

That is a long way from the 2-meter band and that is why you are getting a relatively high "SWR". As for the GMRS frequencies go, the antenna is acting as a 3/4ths wavelength antenna and, since GMRS frequencies are in the 462 MHz / 467 MHz range, you are somewhat closer to the actual frequency design of the antenna and that is why you are getting a somewhat lower "SWR" reading.

The antenna was designed for the 165 MHz to 174 MHz segment.

Glen, K9STH

3. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the quick + informative reply!

A little further info, I just changed out the test piece of coax with a longer and higher quality piece. The SWR went up to 2.5:1 on UHF and stayed the same on 2 meters. The lossy test cable must have been fooling my SWR meter into seeing a better match.

So is there any value in these antennas as is or should I "ham" them into something useful to me?

I was thinking of making the damaged one into a UHF collinear and just reusing the existing fiberglass housing.

~N1VAU

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can certainly do that. The 220 VHF models are about 20' long, the UHF models are shorter so I can tell from 100 feet away which band they're for...but the frequency range within the band varies by internal construction, and you can't see that.

But you already know these are for well above the 2m band. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to re-work them for a lower frequency; it's much easier to re-work for a higher frequency.

You can remove the "guts" and make a collinear of high quality double-shielded coax like RG-214/U copying the original design but making the elements the appropriate lengths for 146 MHz and it should work almost as well as the real product. For the "top stinger" element which is not coaxial, just a piece of 1/16" or 1/8" copper or brass rod will work fine.

I think there's a design for a coaxial collinear emulating the Stationmaster design on the repeater builder website.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW, IMO the value of used/surplus/removed from service Super Stationmasters isn't much. There are thousands of them out there, and I often see them for free, or nearly free.

When I can find one free or for $20 or something I usually pick it up. The fibreglas tubing and heavy duty base assembly and mast clamps are worth more than that.

6. YC8AX

YC8AX Ham Member QRZ Page

i have this type antenna to.. i got it from the old repeater as used antenna for about 200$. it work for some where 150mhz didn't have the attach label is removed by the weather... after several search i modified this antenna to 140mhz... with make the element longer from another antenna that has broken... i cut the tubing and re welded it to make more length.. and then modified the connector to used DIN type connector.... i just curious how many Power that this antenna can hold.. any one know ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.