20m mobile?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AK4PX, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto what Dick says. In addition, my HF mobile antenna is modified Hustler/New-Tronics stuff, starting with the 54" tall MO-1 mast:

• 75m = RM75 w/ inductance removed + 56" whip (129" OAL)
    • 40m = RM40 w/ inductance removed + 40" whip (111" OAL)
    • 20m = RM15 + 39" whip (108" OAL)
    • 15m = RM12 + 25.5" whip (91" OAL)
    • 10m = NO loading coil (40" whip & homebrew adapter)*
    The 20m setup has worked well enough to work into Europe and Maylasia from NW USA. I s'pose I could use a longer whip with less loading coil. I haven't tried that... yet.

All whip lengths are only the part that protrudes above the resonator. You'll need a whip at least a few inches longer than that. The RM75 uses the Larsen W640 (64") whip. Others are either Larsen W490 (49") or Hustler/New-Tronics.

* The adapter is made from a 3/8"-24 coupling nut + 1/4"-28 socket head screw (stainless steel). The old (but still available) Hustler locknut + split ferrule is used with it. A 1/8" hole is drilled through the stud at the top of the mast tubing to allow the whip to pass through.

Photo of 10m adapter:
    [​IMG]
    I had to buy enough parts & material to make 10 of these, just to have one for myself but it wasn't bad. I still have nine... somewhere. ;)

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

2. N1GMV

N1GMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think mobiles need to be geeky looking

[video=youtube;JRUWar_OeBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUWar_OeBU[/video]

This ATAS100 on the trunk of the Challenger R/T has no problem on 40m - 70cm

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait until the passenger air bag goes off, and blows the head towards your head.

4. F4HCV

F4HCV Ham Member QRZ Page

You can find Hamsticks on ebay for good money.

I bought some, but noticed that they are mechanically not invulnerable over time.

5. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh god not this again. Why would it when it fires BACKWARDS towards the passenger and where it is is clearly ahead of where the airbag deploys?

99% of the time what you say is good solid advice but honestly when it comes to airbags and power sources (powering a HT from an accessory socket) you have some real issues.

6. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

I trust you'll never be in an accident. But if you do, you'll find out!

7. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a good place for the front panel. It's up there where you can see it practically with peripheral vision and takes only a small eye shift to see what frequency you're on. I'd suggest the remote control mic...with that you don't need to reach up to mess with the front panel - all the controls are in the palm of your hand. With a little bit of practice that means hardly ever taking your eyes off the road.

So....what's more dangerous? Mounting the control head up where it's safest in terms of not having to look WAY DOWN to see the frequency display when mounted in the "popular place", the center console, but may become a projectile if the air bag goes off? Or mounting it down there "safe" from becoming a projectile but forces the driver to take his/her eyes off the road a LOT more?

I'd say that good defensive driving habits are a much more effective method of highway safety than "protecting" oneself from the hazards of being hit. And of course that means severely limiting how often and for how long distractions take one's eyes off the road. In other words...if one is concerned about the negative impacts of having an air bag go off, I'd say drive in a manner that makes the probability of having an air bag go off as low as possible." There are very few cases of air bags going off that couldn't have been avoided had the driver not flirted with danger by cutting corners in their driving habits.

8. M0GVZ

No I won't.

mobile install.JPG

And neither will the person you replied to because the airbags are behind the radio firing backwards. If they do by any chance hit the radio they'll propel it towards the windscreen.

Not quite sure how physics works in your world but it seems to be completely opposite to everyone else in this respect.

9. AK4PX

AK4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you link a video showing this airbag deployment?

10. M0GVZ

Drivers side

http://www.nacinc.com/high-speed-videos/automotive/auto-collision-airbag-deployment-upper-view/

Passenger side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fyJJFG3krg

As you can see, as long as the radio head is in front of where the passenger airbag deploys and the windscreen, i.e if its like my Mondeo and deploys from the face of the dash instead of on top of it, then the airbags going off are not going to send the radio head flying towards you. If you have an airbag that deploys from the top of the dash and you have the radio head in between that and the passenger then yes it will fly towards you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.