2021 Ford Bronco Announced

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N0TZU, Jul 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

In California, yes.

In Mississippi? Ask that question again in 5 years…:oops:

2. N8FF

N8FF Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of uninformed naysayers with zero experience with the actual Bronco or Bronco Sport out there, so let's hear from an actual person married to a Bronco Sport owner that she let's me drive, if I've been very good.
    Last October, we pulled into a gas station right behind a black SUV that had Bronco Sport across the tailgate. SWMBO had seen some and was somewhat interested so she got out and started chatting with the driver, who encouraged her to have a look inside and out. Introduced himself as Jim Farley, newly promoted CEO of Ford, who told us that production was starting in two weeks....she had her order in a couple days later and took delivery in early January.
    Since then, we've put 17,000 miles and counting on the beastlet. We've taken her on a road trip from Tip of the Mitt to Arkansas and Missouri, plowed through snow, gotten down some trails where the side by side quads gave us funny looks and it has done everything with aplomb and competence and returned 28.5 to 34.5 mpgs in the process.
    I understand that some of you guys like your old Jeeps and such, and I have my dad's 79 Squarebody in the fleet, but given the choice between constantly fiddling with old vehicles that were lucky to return 10 mpg from when they were new (I'm look at you big red truck) or driving a well built utterly competent vehicle with 21st century technology and fuel economy, I'm going to enjoy the heated seats and steering wheel, when she lets me.
    Later this year the plan is to get a full size 2 door Bronco, which means trading in the 08 Land Rover LR3. Much of the LR3 was designed and built whileFord owned LR, and 13 years later all of the electrics in the LR3 work. So much for "you can't trust modern gizmos" .

K8UDZ and WN1MB like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I still miss my faithful old '86 Bronco II. If memory serves, the V6 was 4.1 liter displacement. Outfitted with a good set of Cooper tires with moderately aggressive tread, it was an unstoppable little beast - other than the infamous TFI module and less-than-stout rear driveshaft and U-joints. Best ride was through a wicked Christmas Eve snowstorm to my sister's house. No fear.

DM2TT likes this.
  4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeppers, I had an 86 Bronco II. Great vehicle except for the annual driveshaft replacement.

WN1MB likes this.
  5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

My son has a Big Bend model, and to test it, we took it to
    Big Bend. Son owns land out in the desert on a
    ranch that has 1,200 miles of dirt roads and trails.
    When we were "way out there" on the trails, the son's Bronco
    plowed right through deep sand that got his friends Tacoma 4x4
    buried to the floor pan.
    This, plus nearly 40 MPG cruising down IH-10 at the 80 MPH
    speed limit.
    Quite the opposite of my 1978 4x4 Suburban with 454 gears,
    Heck, top cruising speed is about 65, and average MPG is
    about 10. ( but I can repair my rig, wouldn't even try to
    take a wrench to the Bronco)

WN1MB likes this.