ad: k1jek

2021 Ford Bronco Announced

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N0TZU, Jul 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After 25 years, it's baaaack! Looks pretty awesome.

Independent front suspension detracts from articulation but on the other hand it's available with up to 35" tires from the factory!

I wonder where the radios will fit...

N4FZ, NL7W, W7EDC and 2 others like this.
  2. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks very cool! I would like to see it available with a normally aspirated V8 in the lineup, but they only offer their little turbo-eco-boost toy.
    I towed with a newer F150 and I was not impressed with the Eco-Boost engine.
    The new Bronco sure is a looker though! I cant wait to see one in person.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ford site already says "Reservations Full" for the "First Edition" top of the line model. They're building 3500 of them. Wonder how many will ever see pavement, let alone trail?

N0TZU likes this.
  4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

On the accessory rail on top of the dash?

I was wondering where the winch is supposed to go? I guess that an electric winch can be put on the rear tow hitch but an front mounted hydraulic winch is far more convenient and powerful. Perhaps a third party will develop one, or Ford will offer that as an option on future revisions.

5. N0TZU

The accessory rail looks like a great feature. I don’t know if an entire radio could go there but surely a remote head.

There must be a way to mount an electric winch on the front. Maybe even a factory option. I haven’t seen a hydraulic winch in ages.

V8 in an off road vehicle? Low speed, low gears and a soft touch on the accelerator get the job done.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe Ford is thinking that you won't NEED a winch?

Adding a winch might imply that you'll get stuck.

It's all in the Marketing! ;)

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N0TZU

Nah, having a winch (and tow hooks, big tires, etc) is part of the “scene”, man! - even if the vehicle never leaves the pavement, and many don’t.

AC0GT, KP4SX and WR2E like this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KT4PH, KD5PME, N1VAU and 4 others like this.
  10. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We had the same thought last night.

My son's first comment on the dash rail was that he could mount his Yaesu 400 there. Then we wondered if there was 13.8v there. Nope,

"There's even a charging port right next to the windshield to power whatever devices you might have mounted to that rail ..."

Ford's picture of it just shows a USB port cover.

But, it would have been very cool if there was USB and a couple of Powerpole connectors there.

Funny though, neither Jeeps nor Ford Broncos provide such power outlets in the windshield area as many of their owners have AR and/or CB radios there.

The Bronco is awesome, though. They will sell many. My son was ready to go somewhere with my Jeep TJ to take some pix and get it listed for sale. I wasn't totally against that idea. :)

N0TZU likes this.