2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid dual band install Question

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by VK5MRD, Jul 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VK5MRD

VK5MRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi friends,2020 Hybrid Toyota Camry and would like to install my Yaesu FTM-400XDR. I have searched online but I cant find anyone else who has installed a dual band radio into this model of vehicle. I am thinking of using a Ram mount perhaps out of one of the cup holders to mount the head unit. The main radio ideally would be best mounted in the boot (trunk for my US friends). By doing that I would need extension leads for the Mic etc. The battery is in the boot as well. I guess my main question is what type of antenna and where to mount the antenna. Some emergency services here in Australia use the same model Camry and they appear to use on glass antennas. Not sure hoe effective they are or if they need a counterpoise to be effective. Due to window tinting if i went this way it would need to be fitted to the front window. The margins and tolerances around the boot look to be very tight. perhaps a bennet mount (Hood) might work. Does any one have any info or photos that could help. Photos esp would be most appreciated.
    in advance.

Best 73 Dave VK5MRD