2020 AM Rally: January 31 - February 2

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Jan 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul was there for awhile. I never heard anyone else. I guess the band was just THAT long.

2. WB7OKU

WB7OKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Returning ham here after a rather long absence from it all. I didn't come across this until it was too late. By the time I figured out how to set this radio up everybody seems to have gone to bed. Is AM something that is only done a few days a year or do some of you get on and try for contacts all year? Is 7.28 - 7.295 a good place to troll for contact?

WA3VJB likes this.
  3. KB3WFV

KB3WFV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Larry,

Welcome back to amateur radio! AM activity is alive and well on 160m 1880, 1885, 1945. On 80m 3705, 3870 to 3890. On 40m 7280 to 7295. You will hear the most activity from mid afternoon into the evening with 40m being active during the midday on the weekends.

There is also an upcoming AM QSO Party on Feb 15th 2020. The details are here.......

http://www.antiquewireless.org/event-details-for-am-qso-party.html

Brian
    KB3WFV

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    WA3VJB likes this.
  4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

AM usage is definitely year-round, and has been growing steadily with the availability of good sounding rigs from Flex, Anan, and K7DYY. Even iCom is putting more effort into AM with their incredibly popular 7300.

These are some great places to start, but are not limited to:

160M: 1880, 1885, 1945 evenings

80M: 3870-3890 anytime depending on conditions

40M: 7280-7300 afternoons, evenings

20M: 14.286 daytime

WA3VJB and KB3WFV like this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Larry,

Want to try a sked on 40 meters AM Wednesday evening? I am still set up there from the AM Rally, and have been tossing a pretty good signal into the Miami node of the internet-based SDR I have checked.

Also want to point out a huge gathering of stations on 75m from Florida into New England on 3885Kc early in the mornings. I have my first coffee listening around 5am Eastern and they're already well underway.

KB3WFV likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, regularly on 1980, 1985 most evenings.

All the better, that helps expand AM presence in the band.

7. WB7OKU

Thank you for the help. Mornings are a problem for me so I probably wont be able to join the other east coasters unless the dogs get off schedule. 40m seems to be the best band in the QRM pit that I live in and I'm usually home in the afternoons, so I will hang out in the 7.280-7.300 area and leave the rig set at 7.280. Today should be exciting, with stronge winds and a line of T-storms this evening. I guess I'll get to see if my antenna construction cuts it.

8. WA3VJB

Alright ! Glad you checked back. I'm gonna go out and call Seek You on 7282 or so, at 5Pm EST Thurs and see what up.

9. WA3VJB

Missed you, Larry, but picked up a guy at Cape Corla Florida, N8PEP. He was just trying out a new rig of some kind and may have been only a few dozen watts. Made the trip through the static and the QSB, so I know we may eventually have a chat too. Stay tooned....

10. WB7OKU

I didn't see your post until 5:30. I caught you talking to the station in punta Gorda, but the fading was so bad that I could only get a few words at a time. I was going to try to call you at the end of the QSO but decided that there wasn't much chance for reliable contact with the fade. You would go from unreadable to 4/5 then back, but N8PEP stayed consistently barely discernible as a signal. We will get together. The propagation gods will eventually smile on the gulf side.

WA3VJB likes this.