2020 AM Rally: January 31 - February 2

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Jan 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry we never crossed paths on 40 meters. I had heard that W1AW-AM was on 7285, but I was not able to find you once I spooled up from 7266 or elsewhere far lower. 40 meters was really packed with AM Rally signals. My strategy, wherever I ended up, was to AVOID an exact "0" or "5" frequency, so that anyone could distinguish my carrier from any of the weaker international SW b'cast stations that began to come in.

Marathon Operator Award Nominee has to be Steve, KøSF at Minneapolis. He was on for most of Saturday, came back early Sunday, and took 40 meters out to when the band closed around 9pm EST Sunday night. A real Channel Master, besides, with a commanding signal from his Collins 20V3, and a rotatable 40 meter beam, yee-haw!

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Real nice to see the women operating W1AW. Looked like a lot of fun. Very cool. Also great to see Bob A. having a good time. Beautiful 75A-4.

WA3VJB likes this.
  3. KD4UMU

KD4UMU Subscriber QRZ Page

I was glad to work David HC5DX on 20 meters as well from way down south. Nice strapping signal into Kentucky.

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Did not work a bunch but had 3885 to myself on the east coast for over an hour. Conditions were nearly perfect.

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

That would have been worth a screen grab of an SDR waterfall !
    I stayed on 40m the whole event, but I looked at the displays for several nodes on 75m. Most of the time it looked like I was observing the BC band.

Attached Files:

N1BCG likes this.
  6. WK4K

WK4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I only made one AM contact this weekend, but it was my first and I made it on a 50+ year old radio. I look forward to more.:D

KA4KOE, WD4IGX, WB1GCM and 2 others like this.
  7. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think i made a total of 6 contacts this year, compared to 21 last year. A lot of congestion on 75, i think by next year i need some sort of sdr receive setup to be able to take advantage of the filtering, would've made a big difference in hearing when i could find a clear frequency, i was still hearing a lot of adjacent channel interference.

8. WB1EAD

WB1EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not see this mentioned anywhere but I did work Paul W7A who was holding court on 20mtrs at 14.335..this was at 1835UTC with 5/9 sigs both ways..
    His operation was quite excellent from WA using homebrew I think..for sure Paul was "strapping" into New England for well over an hour..he most certainly
    worked a few..some I cud hear..others not..I don't do the rally as a rule since antennas are 20/15/10..but I listen and it seemed well done all the way around..
    73 de DAVE WB1EAD

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

A good receiver really helps.
    Its very useful to SEE where signals are, including your own, where the holes are, and to be able to narrow down the filter
    or pick one side of the carrier or the other.
    Some old receivers were quite good, the Collins stuff (made to handle ssb signals) and some Drake stuff.

It was hard to get into a group, easier to find a hole and call CQ contest!

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wanted to join in but this weekend just proved not to be workable for me. :(

There should be some big AM event in the summer too, at least. Sure, most AM is on 160/80/40 and 160 and 80 are very noisy in summer but it might encourage some AM on the higher bands as well, 20m anyway. I did see some people above commenting on working 20m.

K6CLS likes this.